What Would you do? RGIs only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Phone message..please ring me to come and reconnect my gas?
Phoned back.....I've got someone else coming to do it..Ok, goodbye.

Next day (yesterday 4 pm)..She calls again "Other person never showed, can you reconnect my gas?" So I ask "Can you tell me why its disconnected" she says "British Gas disconnected over unpaid bill and took meter away, now they have put it back but would not connect it"

I ask "Is it a domestic or a commercial premises?"
She says "Its a Bed and Breakfast"

I say "I'l come first thing saturday morning, but as its a B&B I'd like you to show me the current gas safety certificate for the premises.

She says "OK"

An hour later she rings and cancels saying she doesn't need to show me any certificates, she'l get someone else.

Now I'm happy with that as I smelt a rat for other reasons..her attitude was one. ..but on a wider point

Was I right in asking for the gas safety cert for the B&B, and assuming I had gone to reconnect what other checks would you have insisted on doing..and charging for...flue checks, flame picture(where possible) and ventilation are the obvious ones..but anything else.

Inicidentally she rang again this morning..but she said 'wrong number' when she realised it was me again..so I know she hasn't got anyone yet.

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
To my mind, if you're re-establishing gas supply, then you'd need to fully check the gas and each appliance connected to that meter

So its a full Gas Safety Certificate procedure really, if only to cover yourself. Thats what I thought, but she was very pushy insisting that she only wanted the gas reconnecting.

What I didn't mention (and what increased my uneasiness) was that my Plumber merchants have since told me she came in to buy the parts to reconnect it herself.. :rolleyes: When they said that was illegal..she questioned them and said it was only a 'little job she could do herself'

I'm well out of it really, but if you do end up attending you could be in a difficult spot a) If she wouldn't cooperate with a Gas Safety Cert, or b) wouldn't pay.

Some poor so and so is going to end up with the job...or not.

Alfredo

insisting that she only wanted the gas reconnecting.
It would be illegal for anyone to do that. See GSIUR 26.9

Anything going wrong, can mean prison.

Sponsored Links
Would steer well clear myself.

Let her get a large firm in so they can chase payment when she defaults, cause that is definately what is going to happen when you give a bill for quite rightfully checking everything you have re-instated gas to.

As much as you probably don't want to get involved, if she is running a b&b then she may well be endangering life, quite apart from the legality of what she's up to. If you have any way of ascertaining where she lives (or even her phone number) and can report her as being potentially highly unsafe then I, for one, would buy you a pint. You may, by a complete million to one shot, actually save my and my family's life

Harrogate Damian. Foreign accent, very pushy.

I've got a theory the first RGI did show up and wouldn't do what she wanted. I'm suspicious that way. :rolleyes:

Alfredo

To my mind, if you're re-establishing gas supply, then you'd need to fully check the gas and each appliance connected to that meter

Thats exactly what we are actually supposed to do , however, it seldom gets done and its 99% for financial reasons.

Smelling a rat would be an understatement to say the least :rolleyes:

PS this board has a spell checker unlike the ARGI one. Smart one ! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back