What Should I DO.

B

BOB..DOLE

I called at a property to do an landlords gas inspection and came across a old ideal mexico, i checked the terminal and it was 2ft off the ground with no terminal and the flue was 2 inch from the back door. Also it had been painted i pointed out this to the tenant that it was classed as at risk and needs to be isolated. She then explains to me that the chap last year said the same and she showed me last years inspection and warning notice but he had not isolated the appliance or filled in the warning notice fully.

What advice can you give me in this suitation should i report it to hse or what.

Sponsored Links
Even if at risk you are only supposed to turn off a user control like a powerswitch and even then only with the agreement of the customer.

ollski said:
Even if at risk you are only supposed to turn off a user control like a powerswitch and even then only with the agreement of the customer.

If its calssed as at risk you are supposed to islolate the gas as well on the isolation valve if their is no valve you need to cap it off with the agreement of the customer.

Not any more mate, you are supposed to turn off a customer control so that they can switch it back on if they choose to, definitely not isolate at a point where a corgi would be required to reinstate.

Sponsored Links
when did that change olls???

I like BOB am under the impression that an AT RISK you MUST isolate the gas supply (not disconnect by isolate)

what do you do if the customers is adamant that you will not isolate his appliance?

i am not a rgi, just wondered.

you inform the emergency gas provider (transco as was) and they come over and capped them off

:)

I thought ID and AR were 'cappable' situations, i'm still in training so please expand on the ' isolate user controls' for an AR situ please.

bster said:
I thought ID and AR were 'cappable' situations, i'm still in training so please expand on the ' isolate user controls' for an AR situ please.

ID you have to remve thegas supply to the boiler

but not an AR

ID you need to isolate the boiler from the gas supply
AR you need to turn the appliance off at a user control
Both with permission of course as with everything.

I think it has always been the case but it was confirmed when I had it as a question in my assessment last week, so I presume it is one of the grey areas corgi are trying to iron out.

I'm with ollski on this one.

Turn off a user control. (only if they let you)

ok i was always taught turn off the gas

but what do you do in a AR sit if they say no??

corgiman said:
ok i was always taught turn off the gas

but what do you do in a AR sit if they say no??

Make a note on the paperwork that can be referred back to in the event of a problem. At the end of the day the whole at risk catagory has been made ridiculolus with the ventilation issues etc, it means nothing any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back