Would you buy a used hospital bed for your home?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our local hospital is selling surplus hospital beds for only £50 each. (£75 for 2) They come with durable mattresses and a sturdy over bed table. The make is 'Nesbitt Evans' My neighbour has bought one and they're really good and strong with wheels and you can alter the pitch of the mattress and pillows etc. Mint! They are high up allowing plenty of space for storage under the bed. Absolute bargain.

Our double bed is on its last legs so My plan is to buy two hospital beds and weld the main frame together to create a double bed for the missus as a surprise without affecting the moving mechanism. I'm not sure what colour to paint the frame so it looks less clinical.

Do you think they are a bargain and would you buy one?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
not for the home

If you are an invalid, or fitting out a hostel or shelter, maybe

I bet the NHS paid a thou for them.

Maybe the hospitals have more capacity than they need? Somebody should tell Jeremy unt.

I think if I was your Mrs, I would be surprised too - unpleasantly so!! Nope, I wouldn't buy a hospital bed, they're noisy & hot with plastic covered mattresses, look fug ugly and then there's what they symbolise - ill health. Not very romantic! :)

Sponsored Links
How many stiffs had been laid out on one ?:unsure:

Never thought of that :eek: I could check with the porter what ward it came from, if may have been from the maternity ward or outpatients where nobody has died.
Anyway once its had a paint job and been welded or bolted to the other bed to make it double and our nice duvet cover it will be like new.

Never thought of that :eek: I could check with the porter what ward it came from, if may have been from the maternity ward or outpatients where nobody has died.
Do you think beds in hospitals aren't moved around?!

I could check with the porter what ward it came from, if may have been from the maternity ward or outpatients where nobody has died.

Are you serious? You think women don't die during childbirth these days? Why would "Outpatients clinics " have hospital beds? (perhaps you mean the day case unit , where people come in for a very minor op and are released the same day?)

Anyway once its had a paint job and been welded or bolted to the other bed to make it double and our nice duvet cover it will be like new
Hmmmm , In our hospital, all of the "hospital beds" are fitted with side rails. Just how do you intend welding or bolting these together to make a double bed? In any case, hospital beds are a bit longer than your standard "double bed". Where would you get a mattress to fit this Frankenstein bed?

I wonder if it will harmonise with their other bedroom furniture?

With all respect, people do have "hospital" beds in their home, but usually only because they are in need of the features that one provides, such as height and backrest adjustment. Others have a facility to roll the occupant where they cannot move themselves so as to prevent bed sores.

As such, that is a cracking price, but I don't think joining two independent units together will work. Especially if you want to keep the adjustment features.

But if you do go for it, don't forget to hire a hospital cleaner so they can wake you up at 0600 by banging a floor polisher around under the bed, then apologising profusely for waking you up.

Sponsored Links
Back