wrap around permitted development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
please don't moan about my question, i know this permitted development has been asked so many ways. Ive googled it to death looking for some clarity on their wording.

detached house with very big garden i think the garage is original if it makes a difference or not for answer.

Requirements say 4m out on the back and no more than 50% of original house on the side, my would be 2.7m. We are planning on pitching the roof on garage and flat on the back. Due to money the garage has to wait :( so will be done in two parts.

1, if we only do the rectangle on the rear is it permitted development?
2,if we return in to shaded area to join to garage is it still permitted devolpment?

2nd picture is from the welsh government website as its the only example i can find, all the others seem to word it rather than drawings what make it much clearer. im southeast if that changes anything.

we told both neighbors and both are fine so no problems there.

what do you think?

thank you

2019-01-22-0002.jpg 2019-01-22-0005.jpg

Sponsored Links
Between the rear extension and the side extension you have a square of building that is neither rear or side extension. My understanding is that that isn't Permitted Development and building one or the other first doesn't gain PD rights for the larger build to then enclose that space.

But in your case can you not build a rear extension under PD to the required depth from the garage so everything you've drawn is a rear extension if the garage is attached and original? There's a relaxation still in force that doubles the depth you can build under PD.

thank you paul
if you was to look at 2nd picture which has a tick next to it to say it is permitted development. is it my garage that is making it different to theirs?

Sponsored Links
originally i was only going alone the back upto the dotted lines. this i was pretty sure under permitted development. ive waited two months for builder to give me a start date(which is now first week in feb) someone popped around and said if im going to do the side a bit later why dont i extend the back 2.7 wide to make it 9.7m total on the rear. to late for planning now. i dont want to lose my slot so if its not PD is it worth me doing retrospective planning once done? i know its risky, just wondering if theyre meaner if done afterwards. Both neighbors have done the same extension over 15 years ago as a wrap around but had planning.
i dont know what to do now o_O

forgot the picture

Attachments

• 2019-01-22-0007.jpg
    2019-01-22-0007.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 298
You can extend out 4m right across the back under permitted development, but if you go further to the side beyond the dotted line, it ceases to be p.d. This is because the extension would then extend beyond a wall forming an original side elevation and would be more than one-half the width of the house.

Is Welsh Pd different to English PD? I only ask because under the English GPDO the extension on picture 2 is not pd as the overall width is more than 50%..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back