Wrecked some corner brickwork - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - in the process of putting the rim deadlock keep on the wall for the garden gate, the brickwork has crumbled away (see photos!)

I’m guessing I made the error of drilling too close to the edge, and the pressure of the screws and wall plugs couldn’t be contained. However, in my defence, and as I said to my angry wife, there’s no way I could have put the keep any further away from the lock itself - otherwise it wouldn’t reach!

Long story short, what’s the best way to sort this one out? I’m guessing an exterior filler, but my only experience is with the all-purpose white stuff (Everbuild), so I don’t know how I’ll match the brick finish - are there ‘brick coloured/textured’ fillers out there?! Can you realistically drill and secure wall plugs into it when dried?

Of course, I’m also going to look into buying a bigger keep that has screw holes positioned in such a way that they will sit further from the edge of the wall, otherwise I imagine I will just cause the same issue!

As ever, any help or advice would be massively appreciated!

Attachments

• B7581441-8988-4A9F-B362-F9AB8CDF5207.jpeg
    B7581441-8988-4A9F-B362-F9AB8CDF5207.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 8418FA2B-9CB8-4BF4-B918-733D3AC78FE8.jpeg
    8418FA2B-9CB8-4BF4-B918-733D3AC78FE8.jpeg
    632.5 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
It is usual to put wooden posts on the wall, and to fix the hinges to one, and the lock keep to the other. Lengths of 7" joist are quite handy on a 9" wall.

Thus also reduces spot loading and vibration which are liable to crack the bricks.

Also, choose a drill that is big enough for your plasplug to be an easy fit. It will start to expand when you tap the screw in.

It is usual to put wooden posts on the wall, and to fix the hinges to one, and the lock keep to the other. Lengths of 7" joist are quite handy on a 9" wall.

Thus also reduces spot loading and vibration which are liable to crack the bricks.

Also, choose a drill that is big enough for your plasplug to be an easy fit. It will start to expand when you tap the screw in.

Thanks John, unfortunately the previous owner of the house didn’t follow your advice - the gate door closes flush to the wall against the piece of wood pictured.

I guess fixing some wood where the latch strike plate and lock keep currently are is an option, but then I would need to also add a piece of wood to the gate door itself so that the latch striking bar and lock mechanism would line up with the strike plate and keep. The problem I foresee then is that the key probably wouldn’t reach the lock.

Unless I’m missing a really obvious way of solving this?? (Wouldn’t be the first time!)

Attachments

• E496ACDD-A33A-4527-9E5B-46A84490EDFF.jpeg
    E496ACDD-A33A-4527-9E5B-46A84490EDFF.jpeg
    618.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 0E223425-F307-4D3E-BD6D-DD60D7628480.jpeg
    0E223425-F307-4D3E-BD6D-DD60D7628480.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Put a board on the wall and use a mortice lock staple/keep. Full height will look best, treated to match the gate.

You can get rubber wallplugs that will absorb some of the shock of a slamming gate to reduce cracking.

This sort of thing

If you have a post each side, you can add Barricade Brackets if there is a risk of vandalism or breakin.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I would use mortar and brick dust crush a matching brick up

I've never had much success with doing that, rather I would be seeking out a couple of replacement bricks then chopping out the damaged ones. The OP would need to drill multiple holes in the mortar, around the damaged bricks, to release them.

A few years ago I had problems (as did many neighbouring houses) with a certain type of rustic bricks crumbling around the front doors. Half of the brick depth had turned to dust at the bottom. I tried to match the mortar colour to the bricks, using brick dust, to try to reproduce the colour. It needed so much dust, it made the mortar unusable. I ended up just using mortar, reinforced with bits of broken brick, shaped and then the surface made to look rustic before it set. Finally, I painted the the entire columns of rustic bricks either side of the front door with masonry paint. I notice many of my neighbours have followed my lead and now done the same.

Remove the two damaged bricks carefully and then turn them round 180degs and refit.

and then remember to not drill into a concrete/brick boundary without at least 75mm cover. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back