Wrong mortar mix around windows? Help appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the rear of my south facing 50 year old house re-harled as it was cracking plus we'd changed the window for a door so it had been patched.

Nice job done on the harling (only the south face of my house is harled)

However the cement used up to the windows hasn't bonded (it is hollow sounding if tapped). Also I can still rub away at the surface with my nail two months on.

Sealant round the window frames hasn't bonded

After three days, just touching the cement had it crumbling into dust. I did this with my finger 72 hours later. is this right? Is it was like this after 3 days will it have properly set now?

Builder borrowed washing up liquid as he hadn't enough plastercizer

If it is wrong, not bonded, what is the correct solution?

Very much appreciate comments / input

Ta

Attachments

• IMG_7193.JPG
    IMG_7193.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
Looks like you need to get him back in to have a look at it. Did he use cement, or was this a lime based finish, as it look as though there's not enough cement in the mix; and using a plasticiser suggest the use of cement.

Building control don't like washing up liquid being used, but a lot of people will say that is still works.

Looks like you need to get him back in to have a look at it. Did he use cement, or was this a lime based finish, as it look as though there's not enough cement in the mix; and using a plasticiser suggest the use of cement.

Building control don't like washing up liquid being used, but a lot of people will say that is still works.
Thanks. It was a cement mix. Subcontractor was round, just wanted to patch a section. Builder coming to intervene today

Sponsored Links
Woah, definitely something wrong if it's cement; looks like the mix is far too weak. So the builder subcontracted it out - sounds as though it't either going to get messy, or the builder will fight your corner rather than have his reputation tarnished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back