Rendering cracked around upvc windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anybody advise what i can do to avoid the rendering/pebble dashing coming off at the corners of my upvc window frames. The back of the house faces due south and is open to fields at the back, and gets all the extremes of weather. Since the upvc frames were fitted a few years ago, every winter rain seems to get into the corners of the frames and causes the render to crack after the frost has passed in the spring. I think this is due to the upvc expanding and contracting because we get strong sunshine which makes the house lovely and warm in Summer but also causes the frames to expand slightly and then in the change of winter temperature at nights, rain gets in and freezes, and causes the render to crack as it defrosts. I have a lovely maintenance man who will fix ghe problem but the effects do not last after the winter and he thinks its due to the upvc expanding with the temperature changes as we face due south. It will be good when we have the solar panels fitted, but the general maintenance to the rendering is costly and and very inconvenient, and my lovely builder is getting fed up. I have had several different builders over the years but they are all of the opinion that I would have been been better sticking to wooden frames.

Sponsored Links
I have just finished a similar job in our village. I used a lime render because it allows for shrinkage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back