Wrong paint used on bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for ways to correct a problem where it seems normal emulsion has been used in our bathroom where it bubbles when someone is having a hot shower.
It's only a small bathroom and we use an open window for ventilation but additional ventilation is being addressed.

Any help with how I need to prepare and repaint to stop the bubbling happening please?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Use a steamer to peel off all the paint and redo.
Otherwise, if you don't want to waste hours, scrape off what's already peeled, prepare the rest as you would normally do and repaint.
It might last a long time or not, luck plays a part here.

Standard emulsion fine for bathroom , if it’s bubbling it’s due to ventilation issues.

Sponsored Links
If the bubbles shrink back once the (hot) moisture has dissipated then I suspect that you have vinyl silk or waterbased eggshell on the ceiling rather than vinyl matt.

Oil based eggshell will buy you more time but you need to fit an extractor fan, possibly one with a humidistat built in. The humidistat will ensure that the fan continues to run until the humidity level drops below a predefined limit.

When asked to paint ceilings in shower rooms I specify waterbased eggshell but only provided that the room has a decent extractor.

I use the bathroom kind of paint for guarantee purposes, however in my own home I always used masonry paint and never had any bubbling/peeling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back