Wrong size windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some double glazing fitted and something just didnt look right about the top vents. The square lead looked very small. I've now compared them to next door and all the other houses in all surrounding roads and the windows are approx 20-22". 22" is the original spec on the last few wooden frames around. The ones fitted in my house are 18". I explained to the guy that I wanted the house to look original, so Im not sure why he had them manufactured to this size. Basically my house looks odd from all the rest now. Its a 1930's semi. Do I have the right to withold the balance?

Sponsored Links
are you saying theres a 4" gap??? filled with foam or whatever covered with pvc cladding

No I mean the top windows have been manufactured too small. It looks odd compared to all the other houses.

The lower windows are alot longer than anyone elses, nt happy! :eek:( What can I do?

Sponsored Links
are you saying the opener is not the right size??
what did you agree on the consultation ??

I basically asked for original sized windows like everyone else!

Basically the pvc items previously in were all fitted wrong, theymade the house fit the windows. I asked him for openers that were original to the house. Every other house has them. But it looks like hes just gone with the size of the old openers.

I think what he is saying is the drops on the fanlights are wrong. Sounds like he wanted a bigger drop and got standard 360 drop. If it is the installers fault you will need new frames as i assume they will be fully welded transoms :(

So are you saying he matched the new windows to the size of your original windows but that does not match the rest of the houses in your street?

Can't see the difficulty in everyone understanding the OP - made perfect sense to me.

chillout, if you asked for the windows to match the rest of the street then you should be entitled to replacements if they don't. However, if you just said that you want them to match the original then this could have been interpreted as the ones you already had.

If this is the case then I very much doubt you will get any joy from the window company after they have been fully installed. :(

Also, if you have top opening vents and your neighbours are fixed, then this could account for the difference in size.

Can't see the difficulty in everyone understanding the OP - made perfect sense to me.
So please expain exactly what the OP means here then:
Basically the pvc items previously in were all fitted wrong, theymade the house fit the windows. I asked him for openers that were original to the house. Every other house has them. But it looks like hes just gone with the size of the old openers.

The windows being replaced were not the originals to the house and also did not match.

This is why I said if CHILLOUT asked for them to be original to the house, the window co. may have thought 'original' meant the ones being replaced!

Maybe I have misunderstood too!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back