wrong terminal rating on ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know its wrong but I need some advice:
When i was decorating my bedroom i pulled up the floorboards and noticed that a previous owner had connected a 13 amp in-line connector onto the ring main cable (presumably to lengthen it). I meant to change it to a 30amp junction box ASAP but somehow i forgot to do it. Now i've finished decorating; the floorboards are nailed down, the rooms been carpeted, and all the furniture is in place. I need to now a) whats the worst that could happen. and. b)should i wait for this to happen before i change the cable.

Sponsored Links
a 13 amp in-line connector onto the ring main cable
a) whats the worst that could happen. and. b)should i wait for this to happen before i change the cable.

a) the connector could melt and catch fire under load.
b) don't wait for a) to happen, unless you want it to.

no, its not a spur.

+++++++++++++++++++++=

i would have thought manufacturers would use self extinguishing plastics that don't catch fire? i think you're right though - i'll get it changed. thanks for the advice.

please note 10a

Sponsored Links
jonny_throstle said:
I know its wrong but I need some advice:
When i was decorating my bedroom i pulled up the floorboards and noticed that a previous owner had connected a 13 amp in-line connector onto the ring main cable (presumably to lengthen it). I meant to change it to a 30amp junction box ASAP but somehow i forgot to do it. Now i've finished decorating; the floorboards are nailed down, the rooms been carpeted, and all the furniture is in place. I need to now a) whats the worst that could happen. and. b)should i wait for this to happen before i change the cable.

When you discovered this, you should have turned the power off immediately, drive to some electrical / DIY store, buy a 30A junction box, drive back, fit it, and then turn it back on. NOT wait for the next convenient opportunity to get the car out, then forget. If i were you, i would not use this circuit until it is sorted.

jonny_throstle said:
I know its wrong .

So why are you asking?

jonny_throstle said:
but I need some advice:.

That sounds a reasonable request

jonny_throstle said:
When i was decorating my bedroom i pulled up the floorboards and noticed that a previous owner had connected a 13 amp in-line connector onto the ring main cable (presumably to lengthen it)..

This should be changed immediately

jonny_throstle said:
I meant to change it to a 30amp junction box ASAP but somehow i forgot to do it.).

Would you drive your car with no brakepads in?

How did you forget something important like that?

jonny_throstle said:
Now i've finished decorating; the floorboards are nailed down, the rooms been carpeted, and all the furniture is in place.

So it looks nice but unsafe. Sounds like the furniture needs moving, the carpet needs to come up along with the floorboards

jonny_throstle said:
I need to now a) whats the worst that could happen.

the cable could set on fire and cause extensive damage to all of your belongings or the house could burn down

jonny_throstle said:
b)should i wait for this to happen before i change the cable.

That is entirely your choice.

or it could be looked at from the other side of the coin.

leave it, wait for it to catch fire, which in turn burns the house down then you will not have to worry about moving the furniture (because you will not have any)

just because electricity does not make stains on the ceiling below, is not wet, and doesn't hiss, does not mean it has any less priority

breezer said:
just because electricity does not make stains on the ceiling below, is not wet, and doesn't hiss, does not mean it has any less priority

in fact, most people are of the opinion that "it has been ok so far, so why fix it?" The fact that this guy wants to fix it should be praised.

pdcelec, your replies are getting more and more like ban's ;)

crafty1289 said:
The fact that this guy wants to fix it should be praised.

i agree to a point, yes he asked advice, but what he hasnt said is when did he first notice it, and why not do it there and then since he admited to knowing it was wrong

While not ideal, if you are really adverse to pulling up the floor, you could find which two sockets on the ring this bit of cable is between, disconnect it at them and remove as much of the cable as possible, then at the cu end convert it into two 16A radials, providing you have room in the cu.

Or you could access it from the ceiling below and patch it up afterwards

i would definatly go for the usualy very messy option off removing part off the celing for accsess trying hard to remember exactly where the box was :cry: :cry: ;)

thanks everyone. as i said i knew it was wrong. but i just didn't realise how serious it was, how could i, i'm not an electrician. thats why i asked for advise. : i'll change it immediatley.

yes, removing the fuse for that circuit will make it not-dangerous until you fix it.

consider whether you're able to pull a new piece of 2.5 T+E to replace that full length. If you can do that, it's a much better job than a junction box, and it *might* be possible to do it without making as much mess.

nabby68 Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:19 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is this a spur off the ring main??

would it have made a difference if it was only a spur ? i would have thought you would still need 30amp ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back