Wrong thread on my hot water tank

H

huddsspread

When i put in a new bathroom, the most head i could get was 1.1m. So the hot water pressure was useless. I got a second hand pump really cheap, a qt80, and installed it and its fine (ish).

Ive posted this info before when i was a member but fogot my log in stuff etc

As i never had a flange fitted, after a while the air built up and the performance dropped, i had to turn the hot water tap on, put my finger over the hole and then turn the cold mains on for 10 seconds that blasted the air up into the header...

I decided to by a techflange, which was reccomended by techflow. Got a plumber to come and quickly fit it, but when he got here the new techflange had a thread but so did my hot water tank, as its 10 years old..so both were male threads or female thread. To get around it we just changed the feed of the pump to where it exits the top of the tank, it tees of down to the pump, as it didnt tee off to the pump untill down at floor level. The result is not as much air build up.

I also think my pump is not as good as it should be, so im going to buy a new one, but they recommend flanges, but is there someway of converting my thread? square peg round hole i mean. so the new flange can screw in?

Also as i have just the minimum of head, and swapped for a negative pump would the performance be better?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure some pics would be interesting, otherwise a plumbers that knows what he's doing.

i can put a picture on but it wont really help. I have a "normal" hot water tank, but it has a different thread on it compared to "new" tanks, so a normal surrey flange wont screw directly in the top.

I'm sure it would help. Is it a stainless steel cylinder.

Sponsored Links
the grey pipe is what is teeing of down to the pump. The thread on a flange screws IN but mine has the thread already sticking out.

Kirklees-20120326-00138.jpg

i can put a picture on but it wont really help. I have a "normal" hot water tank, but it has a different thread on it compared to "new" tanks, so a normal surrey flange wont screw directly in the top.

Are you serious? A professional has asked for a picture as your description is rubbish.

What is a "normal" hot water tank anyway?

Do you have a 22mm compression fitting on the top of the cylinder? If so, then you will need an Essex flange.

Now, stop telling professionals what is required and help yourself by posting a picture to confirm what we are thinking. Because unless you start using the correct terminology and pertinent details we are only guessing.

*edit* Post overlap - now, can you get a clear shot of the fitting coming out of the top of the cylinder?

Who do you think you are talking to me like that?

Im not telling proffesionals what to do at all, its quite an easy queestion really, and if i had some one ask me what i had asked i would have understood.

If you had said that to my face i would have smashed your face in.

Maybe you want to consider what you type before you type it.

That's a bent Yorkshire YP 65 male union connector. If you unscrew the fitting the Techflange will screw in it's place.

Thanks for that, the plumber i had round before stood there with the tech flange, scratched his head for a while and explained it would not fit. I knew i should have done it myself.

Thanks again for that.

sorry about the rubbish picture, theres not much light. The way your talking is i can remove that fitting, and leave a threaded hole in the top of the tank which the flange can screw into?

Kirklees-20120326-00140.jpg

I shall talk to you how I see fit. We are the ones trying to help YOU.

You prick, maybe you should learn how to word things in a way that does not make you sound like a knob. If you had worded your post different maybe you wouldn't have got on my nerves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back