WTF !!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WTF, seems to be saying that quite a lot.

Stuff found recently

Recently bought flat, previous owners did not report any issues on their cooker

Ah, this is where the lights get their power, and nice backbox fixing

For crying out loud nip down the wholesalers

View media item 37931
6" concrete and a paving stone (first time had success with cable finder)

Sponsored Links
I've just been to a house where they wanted a single socket outlet, making in to a double.
Removed plate found four sets of cables, two sets part of the 32A RFC and another a spur to an addition socket,. The fourth set was 1.00mm T&E, nipping round the corner of the reveal to the outside door, up to a switch for the outside light.

Just a quick note to student park concerning a previous post on IR readings and problems with RCD's etc.

A reading on IR does not mean that you have a connection (ie short) , it just means there is a connection with a Ohms reading of less than 999 .

I.e the lowest ir reading my fluke will give is 0.01 so 0.01 x 1000000 = 1000 ohms.

It took me a couple of tricky faults to get this one...

Hope that helps if you didn't work it out already.

Sponsored Links
This pic reminds me that I do often wonder why some manufacturers insist on putting 'L' and 'N' markings on Main Switches, RCDs and Isolators. There's no reason for them, and the practice restricts versatility if one does not wish to end up with 'misleading'situations like this one. I guess there's always the felt-tip - but does that then constitute a violation of MIs in the minds of some pedants?:)

Kind Regards, John.

because N connects before L
Ah, good point - but that then begs another question, since some don't appear to have such markings - I can but presume that they don't have 'make first, break last' neutral switching? I'm not aware of any requirement for neutral 'make first, break last' switching/isolation - indeed, the regs explicitly state that switching or isolation of neutral is not required at all with TN-S or TN-C-S systems.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back