xlpe cable

J

johnmf

got a 130 amp 3 phase welding machine to power up.

the supply is from a bussbar adjacent to where the machine will be. i intend to use swa cable from a tap off box on the bussbar. the cable is 4 core 16mm (got some left over) which i intend to protect using bs88 63A fuses in the tap off. does this set up sound ok?

the cable is xlpe type though, bs 5467 i think it is. will this make a difference than if i used normal 70 degrees swa type?

also been looking round for a suitable switch disconnector to connect the cable/set to. it seems that all good brands jump from 100A straight to 160A. (not cheap either,£300+). anybody got any other suggestions or places they recommend i try obtaining a switch disconnector from or suitable alternative's?

cheers

Sponsored Links
cheers for that

but i require one at least 130 amp seen as thats what the welding set pulls

johnmf said:
cheers for that

but i require one at least 130 amp seen as thats what the welding set pulls

Does that mean 130A per phase, or 43A per phase?

In electrician-speak, 63A means either 63A single phase, or 3-phases at 63A each.

Sponsored Links
Then a 3-phase device of 43A or greater is what you need. There is a surge calculation for welding gear which I don't know. I believe they usually take "D" type MCBs.

I wouldn't use XLPE on a busbar arrangement - pointless. Unless it's left over.

A welder that takes 130 amp per phase would vaporise what ever it was welding :LOL: 50amp a phase sounds more like it - get a 63amp rotary isolator, back this up by a D type 63amp breaker (or even a 50), calc the cable size based on the EFL and Vdrop.

When you say busbar, are you talking about a small meter long busbar, or a factory wide one??

its 130 amp total so i presume thats 43 amp per phase if balanced.
its a factory wide bussbar.

you say 63 amp isolator, when they are rated does the rating on the front refer to the amps per phase? (i.e, ive got a spare square d isolator, this has 100A written on the front. does this mean it can take 300 amps?, i.e 100 per phase?)

if so its ok to use yeah?

also the protection has to be fuses because of the tap off box. the box takes bs88 industrial type links. what rating do you recommend in each phase?

not welding current no, the set says on the back and in the manual, maximum current requirment I1=130A

Lectrician said:
A welder that takes 130 amp per phase would vaporise what ever it was welding :LOL:

I did a 100A per phase welder years ago.

It was used for welding the buckets for the front of quarry wagons.

The buckets were so big the last weld had to be done in the carpark, as they wouldn't fit out of the factory doors :eek:

Lectrician said:
back this up by a D type 63amp breaker (or even a 50), calc the cable size based on the EFL and Vdrop.

I'm just thinking how low of a value of efli you would need for a 63A or a 50A type D breaker, just thinking would he be better off going for fuses?

He will have to go for fuses - It's factory busbar-trunking with plug-in tap offs by the sound of it.

Appliances never usually spec the total current draw by adding the 3 phases together - odd.

All switches etc are rated per pole. A 100amp double pole is 100amp per pole, a 100amp triple pole or four pole is 100amp per pole.

Lectrician said:
...Appliances never usually spec the total current draw by adding the 3 phases together - odd...

I bet it's a trick to make your welder sound more powerful than it really is. Like cheap stereos - "Only 5watts per channel? Lets add them together and make it seem like more"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back