XPELAIR DX100T

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP: I just bought an XPELAIR DX100T. This unit has terminals marked L N T; it does not have an EARTH connection. How does this matter?

How do I connect it to a ceiling rose (whose cable has red/black & earth) so that it operates from the pull cord that switches the light on in the ceiling rose?

I have searched for a solution and found this:

If you visualise the 3 blocks in the ceiling rose:

Block 1 has the LAMP's RED + the pull cord's BLACK, Block 2 has the permanent LIVE (incoming and outgoing) + the pull cord's RED. Block 3 has the incoming and outgoing BLACK.

I'd like a triple pole switch sitting between the ceiling rose and the fan. The triple pole switch is marked L1, L2 and N.

The help I need:

1. How does L1, L2 and N on the switch connect to L N and T on the fan?
2. Is the connection for the fan at the OFF end of the triple pole switch or at the ON end?
3, How does the L1, L2 and N of the switch connect to the 3 blocks in the ceiling rose?

The cable I have bought has 4 cores in total.

Many thanks for your help; as you might have gathered I am a complete novice.

Kind regards.

Sponsored Links
If you look in the box you will find the instructions. Read them for a start.

Quite likely they will tell you that L is Live (Phase), N is Neutral and T might be to do with the timer. They will also tell you if the fan needs to be earthed or not.

Then all you have to do is to identify in your ceiling rose which is Neutral; which is Live (Phase) permanently on and which is Switched Live. You will probably need a multimeter for this.

However: is it in a bathroom?

Thanks for your response.

I have read the manual; it makes no reference to EARTH. The wiring diagram is as follows:

L of fan to L of 'Double pole switch'
N of fan to N of 'Double pole switch'
T of fan to L of 'Double pole switch' amd is intercepted by am On/Off switch.

There is no reference to the ceiling rose or the pull cord switch.

[/img]

So "L" is permanent live and "T" is switched live and I deduce your fan has a timer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your further response JohnD.

I am afraid I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to agree with your conclusion.

There is a picture of the wiring diagram at:

www.applied-energy.com/files/uploaded/download.php?filename=07-WiringDiagrams.pdf -

Please look for DX100T.

Oh, yes it is going in a bathroom and the fan does have a timer.
I desperately need answers to the questions I raised in my first message.

Thank you all.

1) If it is being installed in a bathroom it is subject to Building Regulations. Your simplest choice would be to employ an electrician who is a member of a Self-Certification scheme. Alternatively you could do it yourself and pay the local authority to inspect it. If it is in the bathroom it needs to be installed in a safe zone, so not directly above a bath or shower unless it is 3metres high, for example. The switch is for safe servicing, and can conveniently be placed outside the bathroom, above the door.

2) Whoever is installing it has to identify in your ceiling rose which is Neutral; which is Live (Phase) permanently on and which is Switched Live. You will probably need a multimeter for this. If you do not have the equipment and skills to do this, see (1) above. This is not intended to be rude, none of us can be expected to be capable of doing everything.

If your fan has a "Double Insulated" symbol on it (square within a square), then it does not require an earth connection.

Your fan cannot be wired to the rose as you describe, because you do not have a live loop available.

Read some books or get a spark in. As JohnD says, you need to notify if you are tackling this yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back