Yale 6400 help help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had my yale 6400 about 10 months now and everything works fine,
However last night at about 1,30 am while watching a late night film the alarm goes off for no reason, THE ALARM WAS NOT ON ie NOT ARMED, I put my code in and it cancelled alarm, then at 5,30 am it went off again, I must repeat both times alarm was in disarm mode, and no it is not in home alarm, it is used to arm when we go out, and disarm when we return this has been fine for months, what is happening

Forgot to mention, no fault light showing, just gone into log, just the time alarm was switched off on both occasions, :confused:

I am the only one that controls ie set up or do anything with alarm, as my wife is just mastering light switches :LOL: (boy am I glad she can't see this forum ) so no settings have been changed since set up months ago.

Sponsored Links
I am the only one that controls ie set up or do anything with alarm, as my wife is just mastering light switches :LOL: (boy am I glad she can't see this forum ) so no settings have been changed since set up months ago.
My wife found this post, she wanted to comment herself, but what she wanted to say would have been against Forum Rules.

Suffice to say one of the terms used was, arrogant, (& I'm not even going to star out the other word).

'Nuff said I think.

Hi,

I have the answer to your problem.
You said the alarm has activated but nothing has shown on the control panel.

This indicates that the alarm activation didn't involve the internal sensors or the control panel but purely the siren.

There are two possible reasons/solutions

1/
The reason the siren activates independently of the alarm is if the siren has received a signal jamming its operation.

The way to solve this problem is to alter the inteference dip switch within the siren. See the manual.

2/
You haven't secured the alarm siren securely to the wall and its tamper switch has activated.

Sponsored Links
Europlex";p="1718716 said:
My wife found this post, she wanted to comment herself, but what she wanted to say would have been against Forum Rules.

Suffice to say one of the terms used was, arrogant, (& I'm not even going to star out the other word).

'Nuff said I think.[/quote

What a pointless and insulting reply

Hi,

I have the answer to your problem.
You said the alarm has activated but nothing has shown on the control panel.

This indicates that the alarm activation didn't involve the internal sensors or the control panel but purely the siren.

There are two possible reasons/solutions

1/
The reason the siren activates independently of the alarm is if the siren has received a signal jamming its operation.

The way to solve this problem is to alter the inteference dip switch within the siren. See the manual.

2/
You haven't secured the alarm siren securely to the wall and its tamper switch has activated.

The control pad and alarm box both sounded, as the alarm box has been fixed to wall for 10 months I can't see the tamper switch suddenly working loose, then again I may be wrong, but why the gap of 6 hours before doing the same thing, would not tamper fault show up on control box if that was the case, you say also signal may have been jammed, again why the 6 hour gap, if tamper or jamming was involved surely it would be on and off all night, or is it possible some sort of gadget was involved by someone, thank you for your help as this has completly thrown me, I have disabled anti tamper to gain acsess to alarm box and put power switch to off until this can be sorted another bout of this in the early hours, and I wont be very popular, thanks

Sorry you mentioned that the control panel didn't have any sensor activations on the fault log only when it had been deactivated.
I therefore thought that the control panel hadn't sounded as it hadn't received any sensor activations.

There is one other consideration that could be the problem.

In advance settings you can set the alarm up to detect activity.

It can be set to various timed settings.

It is used to flag up if the pir sensors do not detect any movement in a vunerable persons home . ie if no movement is detected for the predetermined period of 4 , 8 or 12 hrs.

The default state for Mobility Chk is disabled but if you have accidentaly activated it in its default setting of four hours that would fit in with your 01.30 and 05.30 alarms.

From the manual

Mobility CHK
Mobility check allows remote monitoring of the sick
or infirm, if there is no movement around the house
for a preset period of time, an emergency alarm will
be activated and reported over the telephone line.
This feature operates by having a preset timer that
is reset by activation of any door contact or PIR, the
timer is also reset by any key being pressed on the
control unit and arming and disarming. If the timer
is allowed to expire without a reset, an alarm will be
given. The monitoring can be disabled or 4, 8 and
12 hour periods can be selected.
• Disable is the factory default.

Actually, reading through the instructions this morning to be able to power down alarm box in case of repeat performance tonight, I came across the mobility part and thought that may well fit in, however to throw a spanner into the works, we only have one pir and that is in bedroom, the rest are door and window contacts, the time of first alarm was 12.40, and 2nd alarm 5.27 am, the alarm was not on ie disarmed plus it has not been used for well over 7 days, as although we are in and out for hours at a time and the house empty ie no movement, the alarm is not always used as it should be. plus the control pad keys have not been used for ages, as I always use my keyfob to arm and disarm.

As I said, the alarm and control box sounded just after midnight in disarm mode, and again at 5.30ish, both times I entered code to disarm (although it wasn't even armed ) after going through log this morning hoping to find out fault or room which signal had been sent from, no light or fault, just the times of disarming.

I cant understand why your system is behaving the way it is.

If any sensor wether pir or contact was to blame then it would appear on the fault log.
If the control panel tamper was to blame it would show on the fault log.
If the system was jammed it would also show on the fault log.

You say you use the fobs to arm and disarm.
This could be the problem as you cannot disarm the alarm with the fobs unless you open the entry/exit door to start the entry countdown.
This could mean that your system is still armed when you think it is disarmed.

However even so it would still show which sensor activated the alarm on the fault log.

I would be tempted to go into device/edit devices/remove devices and take all the sensors and fobs out of the system and see if the control panel on its own activated randomly when disarmed.
This would point to a faulty control panel.

One other thing. If you use the keyfobs and you keep your keys in your pocket you can easily arm the system as the buttons are pressed inadvertently. However it would still show on the fault loog and you would hear the control panel timer counting down the 30 secs

When I do use alarm I do find it easier to use keyfob, and yes come in through front door timer starts counting down, press disarm then then alarm box beeps twice n flashes, ie once on arm, so has always worked fine

Sorry to throw yet another spanner in but I don't keep fob on my keyring puposely in case it is pressed by accident, ( panic button ) and it is hung up on peg out of way.

But like I explained before the alarm has not been used for nearly two weeks, purely because my daughter pops in when we are out with her new baby, and with everything she carries cannot get to control panel in time, I was hopeing to find a fault in log wether it be tamper or jamming, but nothing just the times, BUT ALARM WAS DISARMED, does the control box talk to alarm box at all wether on or disarmed I look at this forum and see various probs with this alarm but they are usually where someone hasn't done something right, and all my research shows it is very reliable.

I can see you scratching your head already, bet your flumuxed like me, I ain't got any hair left after this

you say the control pad sounded but there is nothing on the log? such as a tamper alarm?

I'm no expert but that sounds very odd. I have known a siren hoot when it picked up interference from an outdoor security light, but that would not affect the control panel, as the siren has no wireless transmitter.

Are you sure no-one could have touched the keyfob?

even when disarmed, the panel will communicate if something happens such as a tamper, a panic button, a smoke, flood or medical emergency sender, or a device that has been defined as always on. Did the panel try to phone out and leave an alert message?

It never hurts to delete all the devices from the panel, and re-learn them.

I have just been through log again just to check a few things, mobility is disabled, not that it could have been anyway as as I said alarm hasn't been used for nearly 2 weeks, anyway the times on log when problem started were START 5.24 AND 00,37 DISARM BY USER 1, now going through the rest of times it shows when and what time I armed and disarmed wether by pad or via keyfob which I normally use, BUT ON THE NIGHT IN QUESTION LOG ONLY SHOWS DISARM, WHICH PROVES IT WASNT ARMED BY ME OR ANYONE,

Xfiles comes into it :LOL:

I have switched alarm box off, as until I FIND SOLUTION i cannot trust alarm.

Has anyone else had this prob, it is a very reliable product so am totally confused

you can reset the siren, and learn-in your keyfob and sensors direct to that (leave out the control panel and have it set as a siren-based alarm instead of a panel-based alarm)

it will still work as a simple alarm. I have had one like that. you can download the instructions from http://www.yalesupport.com/downloads.aspx ; I think it will be like a 6200 model but with a keyfob instead of the keypad

pity, as the control panel is the best bit (and the most expensive)

Thanks, but as it's a fairly new system it looks like I will have to contact Yale, a pity really as I think you guys probably no more than Yale, and are certanly more helpfull,
as for resetting everything, it coud happen again and I cannot trust it anymore especially if it went off again at 3 am and could not turn it off, am I right in thinking that if there is a fault in the system it has to be the control pad, as I presume that detects an alert and sends a signal to alarm box to sound, or would fault lie in alarm box, ( which is now switched off ) then again how could anything happen if it was disarmed, surely the only way that could have sounded is if I had pressed keys 1 and 3 or panic on my keyfob, but at any rate panic would have shown up in log anyway,

Ps I now officially have no hair, and have started a course of Prozac.

I am a user, not a Yale expert (Yaleguy is a professional).

If you set it up as a Control Panel system (there is a switch in the siren for that) and only learned the Control Panel to the Siren, and learned all the other devices to the control panel, then the siren will only sound if
1) the panel tells it to, or
2) the sirens tamper is activated, or
3) something, such as electrical interference, sets off the siren, or
4) there is a fault on the siren.

however, you say that the control panel also went off. In this case it is not the siren that is causing it. The control panel can be set off by
1) one of the sensors being tampered, or
2) the control panel being tampered, or
3) power supply interruption if the panel has no battery, or the battery is flat, will leave the alarm "on" when power is restored, or
4) a sensor being triggered, when the alarm is set, or
5) a sensor being triggered, when that sensor has been defined on the panel as one that trigger an alarm even if the alarm is not set

I am very strongly in favour of un-learning all the devices and siren, and re-learning them, as there may be an error in setup.

IIRC you can define the keyfob so it will unset the panel even if you have not just opened the front door - check the manual.

If you can't solve the panel problem, you can reconfigure the siren to work without it. The siren can be set up to learn the keyfob and sensors.

If you don't trust the system, you can set the siren so it only sounds for one second - this is handy if you think there is a fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back