Yale alarm questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You won't find spiders inside any I fit either. When properly installed the fit of the lens cover is extremely tight.

However I am answering questions to the inexperienced people who normally fit their first yale alarm.

Sponsored Links
Exactly - there are many pitfalls awaiting people fitting their first alarm even ones meant for self fit. I don't need to tell you all the considerations there needs to be from ladder safety to a security survey and the best way to get the system working to match the clients lifestyle.
Which is why I do it for people.

and at a much better price than yale themselves have started to charge -
and I have much more experience than any of the yale installers

http://www.fittedhomealarmsystems.co.uk/index.aspx

Whos is that website?
No contact details, no registered office?

Police aproved?

Sponsored Links
Certainly a non compliant website.

This may be what you were asking about.

Domain name: fittedhomealarmsystems.co.uk

Registrant: Nick Dutton

Trading as: Castlegate 597 Ltd

I'd say it's one of those Yale franchises, at a guess.
Certainly doesn't inspire you with confidence if it is.

Everytime theres a yale alarm question you see the same old people having a dig and starting an argument.

Getting very boring and tedious!

Everytime theres a yale alarm question you see the same old people having a dig and starting an argument.

indeed - tell me about it. :rolleyes:

You know the original poster was very happy with her response but then along comes Bernard as usual who no doubt could design a system to stop the star of India being stolen by Tom Cruise but in reality everyone really just want a simple system that sounds a siren if someone gets in their house.
Then Europlank and Alumni continue to hijack the thread.

They break so many rules all the time one can only assume one of them is a moderator.

See you put up the correct website this time though.
Who was breaking rules with that?
Your the second here in a few says to mis-represent yourselves.

OK i haven't got much to say other than what the hell !?!?

Just for the record I was very happy with the information yaleguy3 and JohnD gave me and for that thank you very much.

Now, the problem is I do have an electric drill which worked perfect at drilling in the control panel but I cannot drill in the siren because the surface is uneven hence why I asked whether there were any other methods.

Also by the spider/moth PIR question I was wondering whether if a spider hiding behind the sofa appears would the PIR pick it up and sound the alarm or is a bit less sensitive.

Now for replies:

[/quote]

As the Yale PIRs are set off by moths and spiders I strongly suggest you get a professional kit with decent PIRs that won't be set off by insects if installed correctly.

Sheesh, what a thing to admit to in black & white, still I suppose it does serve a purpose, nice to have one of their failings mentioned by the 'expert'.[/quote]

So called pro alarms false alarm just as much and simply I have already fitted the alarm and it works perfectly. All I needed was some answers from people who have owned or have experience with the system.

hmmm very strange we are talking here about something crawling accross the lens or getting inside the pir if not properly fitted not insects wandering about the room. certainly a bird would activate the sensors.

You really are the drollest of trolls

I have fitted the PIRs properly with no place for small insects to enter. Like above I just wanted to know if it would pick up a spider scurrying across the ground.

Ok, a moth is an INSECT, a spider is an ARACHNID.

I'd suggest that the O/P was thinking about the size of his dog or cat, NOT moths or spiders that you brought into the equation.

I suggest you think like the general public who ask the majority of questions here and answer more appropriately.

Actually my reply was in relation to yaleguy's answer to Q10 in my initial post and yes because of him I am now informed that even little creatures may set the PIR off

we are talking here about something crawling accross the lens or getting inside the pir
not like a hampster, dog or cat then :p

Precisely

Almost any PIR will detect motion if something like a spider, even a very small one, walks across the sensor inside the unit.

Question is how does even a small spider find a way to gain "un-authorised" entry into the sensor's case ?
That's what I've been waiting for, INSIDE, the detector.

You won't find any spider INSIDE any detector that is fitted by the company I work for.

Any half decent PIR is sealed around the detector add to that the 'sealing' that any pro. would complete at installation time.

I've been waiting for the Yale guy to recommend sealing of 'his' detectors to alleviate the possible problem.

He just 'bit' the wrong way, as usual and went off at a tangent.

If you actually look at a Yale PIR there is very little space for anything to get through. Plus the spaces that are there lead to the battery compartment which isnt monitored by the sensor if I am correct?

indeed - tell me about it. :rolleyes:

You know the original poster was very happy with her response but then along comes Bernard as usual who no doubt could design a system to stop the star of India being stolen by Tom Cruise but in reality everyone really just want a simple system that sounds a siren if someone gets in their house.
Then Europlank and Alumni continue to hijack the thread.

They break so many rules all the time one can only assume one of them is a moderator.

Spot on, I just need a simple system to sound the siren if somebody breaks in

Now I thank most of you for your other replies and I didnt reply to them as I didn't have much to say or they were resolved later on.

Sorry to double post but I just need answers from people who actually have the yale system.

Will the PIR pick up a spider scurrying across the ground?

Can the sensitivity on the PIR be adjusted?

Any alternate ways of mounting the siren outside on an uneven surface?

Thank you

no

no (but some people mask off part of the "window" so it can see a smaller area)

you could make a waterproof ply baseboard and fix that to the wall, then it will give a flat surface for the siren box. If it is cut fractionally smaller than the black backplate it will not show

If the wall is extremely uneven you can use an electricians trick: drill holes in the plastic caps of soft drink bottles; put these on the back of the backboard and put the screws through them. The caps will lie against the wall and space it off by 15mm which will bridge most irregularities

no

you could make a waterproof ply baseboard and fix that to the wall, then it will give a flat surface for the siren box. If it is cut fractionally smaller than the black backplate it will not show

If the wall is extremely uneven you can use an electricians trick: drill holes in the plastic caps of soft drink bottles; put these on the back of the backboard and put the screws through them. The caps will lie against the wall and space it off by 15mm which will bridge most irregularities

That is a very good idea and I think I shall be doing that for the siren then. Thanks a lot :)

Hi OP my apologies for the zoo this forum is.
For some reason whenever I give advice a load of inexperienced (in Yale alarms) professional installers hijack my threads to cause mischief.

One solution I have appled when fastening to an uneven surface . . usually a yorkshire stone wall is this.
I get a galvanized metal strap and drill two holes in it so that the strap goes accross the bottom two mounting points of the siren. It only needs to be 3/4 inch or so. Its purpose is to bridge between the two mounting holes and keep the tamper switch in the centre closed. The holes are large enough that the screws pass through them freely so if the siren is removed from the wall the tamper switch will activate.

See you put up the correct website this time though.
Who was breaking rules with that?
Your the second here in a few says to mis-represent yourselves.
What on earth is all this about?

You know the original poster was very happy with her response but then along comes Bernard as usual who no doubt could design a system to stop the star of India being stolen by Tom Cruise
I could design the electronics to provide the functions that the informed and experienced security people decide are necessary to ensure the Star of India is secure.

My 12 years employment in designing communications system has provided me with a clear view of the pros and cons of using wireless in critical systems. The bottom line in almost every project has been to use wires for fixed point to point communications and only use wireless where one or more of the system components is mobile. And then use a compelled protocol between components. That is two way communication with [1] request, [2] reply with message, [3] confirmation.

but in reality everyone really just want a simple system that sounds a siren if someone gets in their house.
By using Tom Cruise in your example and not just "some thief" you admit there are different types of intruders and suggest by implication that these different types have differing abilities to defeat an alarm system.

I do note that several of the questions that I ask about the way the system operates do not get a clear concise answer from you. The answers are in my mind essential to enable an informed decision to be made about whether the system is suitable for the requirements of the purchaser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back