Yale HSA3000 - False Alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had this alarm for a number of years without any problems. A couple of years ago when we came back form holiday our neighbour informed us that the alarm had been sounding. We thought it might be some branches wafting and setting off the PIR in the garage.

Anyway, last year we replaced all the batteries throughout and it's worked fine until the past week or so. The issue we have is that the siren has started to give a false alarm while disarmed!! It false alarmed last week and today we were sitting in the house mid-afternoon and it false alarmed. I used the alarm pad to disarm it. It false alarmed again after some five/ten minutes, I used the keyfob to disarm it and it false alarmed again after 40 minutes.

The only thing I can think of is that the siren box is in the full glare of the sun in the afternoon and the heat build up is setting it off. Can anyone offer any other reasons?

Thanks in anticipation of any help we receive.

Sponsored Links
Is it the one with no control panel?
Or if it has one, what does it say?

Even if not,

What does the manual say?

I used to have a 3000 range (keypad controlled, no control panel) that sometimes FA, it appeared to be triggered by some PIR operated spotlights that were next to the siren box.

I moved the box away from the lights, and the FAs stopped.

If yours is alarming when disarmed, it is most likely a tamper fault. If the wall is not flat behind the box, or the fixing screws not tight, the plastic lever may not be pressing firmly agains the microswitch. Have a look. If the wall is not flat, you can fix some hard flat material against the wall, such as a bit of plastic or slate. If it seems to be OK, try putting a rubber band to hold the microswitch closed for a day or two, see if that fixes it. It is actually possible to unplug the tamper switch from the PCB (you will see how if you follow its wires) but this should be a last resort. There is a plastic nobble on the inside of the siren cover that presses against the tamper lever to hold it against the wall. Check that yours is not damaged.

A sensor should only go to tamper if it is not firmly fixed to the wall or doorfame, or possibly if, when changing the batteries, you did not fit the cover correctly. However the 3000 range door sensors are quite big, and if fixed to a rounded or moulded architrave, the spring might not be tight against the backing. I had this on a complex moulding, and used filler to build a flat platform for the door sensor to sit on.

While you are tinkering, you might like to use the jumpers to shorten the alarm length, to avoid annoying your neighbours. Or you could lift the siren off the wall and bring it into the house while you tug and wobble all your sensors in case one is loose.

You can temporily disable tamper using your keyfob, for example when changing batteries, and it resets after a period (might be 20 minutes)

If you have lost the manual it is available online.

Thanks Alarm and JohnD

In answer to your questions:

We have a control panel for this one and the manual doesn't say anything about siren false alarms of any description. It does discuss PIR and door contacts but as I've said, the system is disarmed and the siren just goes off!

It's a mystery, false alarm a couple of time close together last week then no false alarms for over a week then three times this afternoon, I think it's the heat/sun thing but don't know why!!?

In relation to the tamper switch. I haven't checked it at all. What I have done today is move the siren box from the full glare of the sun/heat to the side of the house. We'll see if it goes off again tomorrow.

Thanks very much for your advice, I will double check everything again.

Sponsored Links
If it's a square 3000 box then here is a tip.

When you lift off the lid the tamper microswitch is to the top right of the back panel.

The metal lever arm from the microswitch can become slightly fatigued. Whenever I fitted these square boxes even from new I used to take the metal switch arm and bend it from the middle slightly so the end of the arm was about 3mm higher than when it was straight.
This gives a more positive close to the tamper microswitch.

This should solve the problem caused by your casing expanding slightly in the heat.

Yaleguy3

Many thanks, I'll be up the ladder tomorrow and give it a 3mm tweak.

Much obliged to all concerned.

Brijan

Whoa.. Whoa guys!! No need to start a war here!! It demeans both of you.

Today was the first time I found this site and saw both your names linked to helpful responses. You've both been very helpful and we really appreciate the swift responses with advice and assistance. There'll be many on here who will have benefited from both of you.

:D :D :D

Whoa.. Whoa guys!! No need to start a war here!! It demeans both of you.

Today was the first time I found this site and saw both your names linked to helpful responses. You've both been very helpful and we really appreciate the swift responses with advice and assistance. There'll be many on here who will have benefited from both of you.

:D :D :D

You are right Brijan - I like to answer yale threads because I know my stuff. However this guy jumps in them all and trolls me.

To continue with the advice - If the alarm problem is a tamper on then when you set the alarm the siren should bleep 5 times to warn you. However as the alarm is fine and then suddenly goes off this suggests the fault is slightly intermittent and could easily therefore be the tamper swith being at the edge of its operating and the tweak I mentioned . The other possibility is that you are getting wireless inteference.
If you check the manual there is a jumper you can switch in the siren so that stray wireless signals will not cause the anti jamming circuit to set off the alarm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back