Yale HSA6400 and Door contact Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Finally got round to fitting a Yale HSA6400 alarm system this weekend. Very impressed with the system.

I have a question however.

I have fitted a wireless door contact to the back kitchen main main door. This is an outside door.

Lets say I leave the house from the front thinking I have locked the back door. When I alarm the system it allows the system to alarm up and is stays in this mode. But the door is still left open ?

My old system wouldnt' let the alarm to alarm up unless all sensors were closed.

Have I missed something ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes, you have missed that the sensor does not send a constant "I am open" or "I am closed" signal, like a wired sensor might do. It just sends a momentary "I have just been opened " signal.

The control panel is not concerned by any signals sent until after it is armed.

Further information
The system will not allow you to arm it if there is a fault condition. ie an open tamper. The fault will be notified on the screen if you try to arm again you will be asked if you wish to 'force arm' the system in which case the sensor showing the fault will be ignored.

Sponsored Links
It can come in useful that the alarm will set when a door/window isn't closed.

For example I fitted 25 alarms to a park home site and as they are all bungalows on one story to protect the property enabling the alarm to be set at night the bedrooms in use were fitted with window contacts allowing night time protetion without setting off the alarm or having areas unprotected.

However these homes can get hot in the summer and the residents can still set the alarm for an evening if they want to open a window for ventilation.

Yes sounds like a great alarm system !!! Allowing you to set the alarm thinking the doors are closed but are left open for mr burglar to just walk in and clear you out. :eek:

If thats the setup with that make of alarm I would stick to pir's and not bother with contacts.

Even with the alarm system unset it should have still received an open signal when the door opened and not allow you to set until it received a closed signal.(unless set to final exit or entry route) All wireless systems that we install work this way.

Yes sounds like a great alarm system !!! Allowing you to set the alarm thinking the doors are closed but are left open for mr burglar to just walk in and clear you out. :eek:

If thats the setup with that make of alarm I would stick to pir's and not bother with contacts.

Even with the alarm system unset it should have still received an open signal when the door opened and not allow you to set until it received a closed signal.(unless set to final exit or entry route) All wireless systems that we install work this way.

You have mentioned a couple of points there which I am glad you have brought up.

You can buy a yale system from the shop with two pirs and two magnetics and think you have the set up adequate to cover your property.
However I install these system and survey properties for clients and always make sure that a door contact is never the only protection for a room. For example a door contact in a kitchen will not stop someone coming in a kitchen window.
I always therefore advocate extra pir sensors which I carry on my van.
Door contacts to me are primarily for entry purposes and to start the control panel countdown when entering. I also prefer magnetics for this reason as the activation is more definate.
Every home I install to has no security loopholes and if a door is left open they will only walk into the pirs field of view if they enter anyway.

Yes, I must admit although I can see certain uses I think caretech hits the nail on the head.

It looks like extra PIR's also for me.

A bit of a loophole .....

Another Q. What's the benefit in having more than 1 user code setup ?

I've read the manual but cannot see why I should use more than 1 user code.....

Thanks

I use 2 for me (one is my secret manager code which I seldom use)

1 for the cleaning lady

1 for my old mum when visiting

1 for my BiL when visiting

1 for my floozie

1 for the security guards who have an emergency key in case I am away

1 for my neighbour who has an emergency key

so I can see who has come in, and when, by viewing the log, and I can remove any user if I fall out with them, without affecting the others. None of the other users can view the log or make any changes to the system, as they have lower privilege settings.

this is on the Galaxy alarm at home, not the Yale in the other house.

Having extra user codes enables the user to continue to use their own code without having to remember another one if they temporarily allow another user a code ie relatives staying , cleaner etc. codes that can be put into the system on a temporary basis and then removed again later.

and I never tell anyone else the master (manager) code

I have an idea the Yale holds three codes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back