Yale HSA6400 query John D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Think your the man that can help me......

A friend has one of these in there home, following a power cut the screen has gone blank and hasn't been powered up since so they tell me.

I have long since advised that the alarm isn't suitable for there needs but something is better than nothing and they don't have the funds to replace it, they only need the money for parts at that.

I have asked them to unplug the battery and try on mains only to see if it powers up before they buy a battery for a system that could be duff.

They have just called Yale and they say it needs replacing, but thought you might know if its recoverable or not. (if you don't know, no biggy, just let me know please).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I bet it's the battery. There is a switch to turn the battery off and on behind a rubber plug on the back

If it has been running on the mains adaptor for years they might not have known if the battery was good, or even switched on.

There is a Tamiya battery of same volts that fits if the battery need replacing. The plug connector can be cut off the old and soldered onto the new pigtail. IIRC you can get a "genuine Yale" replacement battery for an exhorbitant price. You sometimes see Yale parts on ebay but the 6400 panel gets snapped up.

When all power is lost it keeps PINs and learned devices, possibly indefinitely. I have reactivated some that have been off for years.

There is a secret code to reset to factory settings, I don't think it's is the manual but I have a note of it, filed away, if you need it. *edit* ah, it's the one in Ken's link*

They have been using it, as you know John I don't do Yale, they can get the genuine or equivalent part if needed, I am trying to physically have as little to do with it as possible.

If they had the spare cash I would replace it in a flash and do the install properly, it has clearly been done by a none alarm person.

They Powered it up without the battery and it came online, so I think I know what I need to tell them to get it sorted.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
They tell me its died again, not seen it and don't know what they have done for certain, but there hasn't been any more power cuts.

if the standby battery has failed, then it would go blank if there was anything wrong with the PSU, including a poor connection in the PSU, cable, or socket. If the standby battery was charged, switched on, and working, it would not go blank from a temporary fault and the log would show the power fault.

If it's a fault in the control panel itself, they'd do better to buy a replacement. But the 6400 panel is much sought after by anyone who's got any other 3000 or 6000 range package. The 6300 panel is very similar but lacks the telecomms function. The 3000 panels will work with their siren and sensors and can be very cheap. I could sell them a used 3000 series one for £20 plus P&P.

If they're not technically minded they might want to cut their losses.

Hi John,

thanks for the links, it be there choice what they want to do, personally if I go to the property I will take it out and swap it for something else I am more comfortable with and sort the money out later.

Thanks for your help, if it does come down parts any good to you?

the control panel would be, as I can tinker with it. Got plenty of everything else, thanks, not worth the postage to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back