Yale replacement mechanism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people. Our back door is difficult to open as you have to pull the handle down hard or wiggle it to release the catch. It has 3 hooks but also has top and bottom bolts as part of the mechanism. I assume the cam is worn on the handle part of the mechanism. Can I just replace that bit or do I have to fit one of those universal mechanisms? I can't see a universal mechanism with the top/bottom bolts...

Any help appreciated
IMG_20190725_203404364.jpg
IMG_20190725_203356796.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your assumption is probably incorrect, more likely the door has dropped binding the mechanism, simple door adjustment should fix.

If it was the handle, the mechanism would be equally difficult if the door was open.

Is it?

I've just had the same this morning, as said if the door mech works correctly when open then it's an alignment issue.

I stripped the mechanism and found a part in the gearbox has failed (fell out and it now works ok!).

Measured it up and ordered a replacement gearbox for £17.

It's lasted 14 years so fair does.

Ours is a ERA Shurelock assy.

20190728_101304.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Comparing front (working) to back door (not working) the latch bit doesn't go in as far when the door is open unless you pull really hard on the handle. Took the mechanism out at the weekend & measured up the central gearbox bit. I have ordered a replacement part on-line for around £18. Far cheaper than the £70 odd for a complete mechanism. I will take the old one apart when I replace it & see what has gone wrong....

Our front one broke years ago, the return spring mechanism broke up and jammed the gearbox.

They are made to a price and my lot aren't the most gentle when turning the handles!.

At least they're easy enough to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back