yale wireless alarm jamming off by default

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just wondered why jamming detection is off by default for a yale wireless alarm, isnt this something that is required for a wireless system? or is it such a small risk that it isnt worth the extra false alarms?

Sponsored Links
which alarm system have you got, and what does the manual say?

i have the yale easy install system and the manual says jamming detection off by default recommended. yet they advertise it as anti jamming,

Low cost alarm systems that rely on one way wireless communications on a licence exempt frequency can be jammed and rendered useless by jamming. If a criminal decides to try a burglary he will turn on a jammer before attempting entry. If the siren sounds he knows jamming detection is working. If it doesn't sound he knows jamming detection is dis-abled and he can enter the building knowing the links to the siren have been disabled and it will not be triggered by any of the sensors.

Not all domestic burglaries are committed by opportunists or crack-heads. Sales of the jamming devices are illegal but are still happening. Why is that ?

If jamming wasn't a problem then Yale would not fit jamming detection and then recommend dis-abling it if it gave rise to too many false alarms.

Note to would be burglars. Some houses are set up as Sting Houses. The fact that the alarm siren on the wall is silent even though a crook is operating a jammer may suggest that the house is "protected" by an alarm that has been rendered useless by the jamming.

Think again.

There is another alarm, no siren but instead a secure link to a monitoring centre that will react to the jamming and be ready for the break in.

Sponsored Links
i asked yale why this is the preffered setting. They said because jamming isnt a problem right now but may be in the future but turning it on may give a rise in false alarms because of interference.

i wonder is it possible to buy a third party cover for the yale siren so as not to advertise exactly what system has been installed? It would need to have something to keep the anti tamper spring in pace too. I guess you could even just paint over it?

At my old mum's house, I used the method of taking the yellow cover off and spraying it with gloss white.

I also fitted a sticker with the name of a security company on it, you can get them on fleabay.

Opinions differ on whether a casual kid crack-head burglar will go to the trouble and complexity of buying and learning to use a jammer when his usual method is to lob a brick through the back window and grab whatever comes to hand.

If you are in a house that is likely to attract competent and well-equipped professionals, you should consider a more expensive alarm. You will find a few people on here that like to sneer at inexpensive DIY alarms.

Opinions differ on whether a casual kid crack-head burglar will go to the trouble and complexity of buying and learning to use a jammer
Opinions differ but the facts don't, Never under estimate the crack head's ability.

If you are in a house that is likely to attract competent and well-equipped professionals, you should consider a more expensive alarm.
Very sensible advice

You will find a few people on here that like to sneer at inexpensive DIY alarms.
I am not sneering. I am merely pointing out that given the restrictions that apply to the use of licence exempt frequencies and the need to get a reasonable life out of a set of batteries a wireless alarm has to be a compromise between function and cost. The major problem is that the system has to work in a satisfactory way on a wireless channel that is used for many other legal purposes and an increasing number of illegal uses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back