yellow patches on gloss doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anyone know what causes gloss doors to get yellow patches on, not long been painted either, I noticed it at my parents too on their doors.

Sponsored Links
johnson's non drip gloss, perhaps it is the cheapest gloss.

Oil based paints will yellow in areas that lack natural sunlight, but the discoloration should be consistent and not patchy.

IMO, non-drip gloss is an abomination. I have never understood how you can expect consistency from a paint you cannot stir. oh, and it ain't non-drip. Apply it too thickly, it will drip.

Are you able to photograph the yellow patches. I appreciate that they might not be obvious if you use a phone's camera.

How big are the patches? If they are dark yellow and about the size of a 50 pence coin, and the doors are timber, they might be bleeding knots

Sponsored Links
69855909_10220722597797971_2222604039051280384_n.jpg 69240527_10220722597197956_356282079962464256_n.jpgits hard to see on these pic but 2 different doors, I thought if could be off the oil of our hands but its on my mums doors too but futher down... suppose it could be the paint as we have used the same..

Thanks for the photos.

It is definitely not knot related.

I would guess that it is related to the oils on your skin, However, I have never seen that before with oil based paints. That said it has been 30(?) years since I used non-drip gloss,

(y) thanks... I think I will try something else but not eggshell I find it too chalky.. thanks again for you help

(y) thanks... I think I will try something else but not eggshell I find it too chalky.. thanks again for you help

Fair enough.

When you say "too chalky", do you mean with regards to the sheen or to the touch?

If you apply two coats of oil based eggshell is does feel slightly chalky, a third coat makes it feel much silkier.

The next sheen level up is satinwood.

I'd recommend considering using a coat of waterbased undercoat (eg Leyland Trade acrylic primer, it is cheap and easy to sand) before applying the finish coats. I only recommend it as a precautionary measure. Often if something bleeds through OB paint it is less likely to bleed through the waterbased paint (and visa-versa).

I would also recommend using the trade versions of each brand, eg Dulux Trade rather than Dulux, and so on. They may cost a bit more but in general they are vastly superior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back