Yellow staining on wall and damp meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved into a new to us (built in the 1940's) house.

One bedroom has a yellow stain on the chimney breast around the area where it joins the ceiling.

Work has been done before we moved in to re-tile around the chimney directly above where it passes through the roof and the lead work has been replaced.

The wall in the stained area does not feel wet.

However, i went and bought a cheap damp meter

http://www.bamr.co.za/downloads/Rapitest Damp Checker.pdf

Checking the stained area gave readings between 22-28%

Working away from the stain the readings got lower and eventually went to zero.

Which made me think that there must still be a leak from the roof above.

In the roof space where the chimney passes through the roof there was no sign of any water ingress that i could see. So with my damp meter i started checking the mortar joints in the chimney. 22-28% again.

I checked the surrounding woodwork, 22-28% again.

Odd, so i started checking random bits of wood in the loft area 22-28% again. I checked the mortar where the tiles are back buttered on to the laths (steeply pitched roof, no felt) which felt dry as a bone, again 22-28%.

So, i've come to the conclusion that my damp meter is a pile of cack, i'm not using it properly (which is unlikely because its not exactly rocket science to touch two prongs onto a surface) or my whole house is riddled with damp and its about to fall down.

On a serious note, can anyone tell me how i should actually determine whether this stained area is still damp or just and old stain or even a soot stain from the hydrocarbons that have seeped through the chimney.

Sponsored Links
its not exactly rocket science to touch two prongs onto a surface

The rocket science is interpreting the results to determine if there is a damp issue or not. And meters are designed [ie calibrated] for timber not masonry or plaster

A yellow stain is a leak from the roof.

Its an old stain if it does not get bigger or wet after rain. If it does, its a leak. No damp meter required

Having inspected the chimney in the roof space directly above the stain i'm pretty confident its not coming from a roof leak.

But i would like to know if there are elevated damp levels in that area that might be coming from condensation in the chimney etc.

Sponsored Links
Condensation within or on a chimney would not normally spread across a ceiling. It might, but it would have to be so severe as to be visible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back