yellow wire? earth or neutral??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is a duplicate posting.
I have been given an old Singer sewing machine that does not work. Before handing it over to pay for it being serviced I wanted to check it wasn't just a blown fuse. Long story short, I couldn't change the fuse so decided to give it a whole new plug. But there are only two wires - one red, one yellow. ONLY yellow, no green to be seen. I am presuming the red is Live, but what about the yellow - Earth or Neutral? Any help much appreciated......
Jen

Sponsored Links
Long story short, I couldn't change the fuse
Why not?

I am presuming the red is Live,
Wiring things up by guesswork is an unsafe practice.

Where were the wires connected to in the old plug?

but what about the yellow - Earth or Neutral?
It won't be earth.

That you could think an appliance might be connected between live and earth shows a worrying lack of the most basic understanding of electrics - you really should learn more before fiddling with things...

Any help much appreciated......
Jen
Try the Appliances forum.

And http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...ryGB&sa=X&ei=yDv5TJ9wg4M6j93c1Ao&ved=0CAsQpwU

Can you upload a picture of the old plug top?
Does the sewing machine have a lamp and a foot control attached to it? and if so what core colours are them cables?

Sponsored Links
Its a long time since I serviced an old Singer but i'm 99.9% its neutral - red being live, these were not earthed and have no earth wire, having two core flat flex with a non PC colour code.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back