Yellowing brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I painted a brick wall white from inside, few days later becoming yellow in patches. It's a solid brick wall no cavity. It's nothing new, same thing happened 20 yeas ago, paint doesn't peel but goes yellow. I checked from outside, bricks are not painted and are sound and dry, no evidence of leaks.
Any sealer I can use to stop the yellowing?

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't paint solid walls, it traps the moisture in and causes damp. The yellowing is due to the damp in the wall. In olden times, if paint was used on solid walls, chalk whitewash was used on the outside and clay based paint on the inside. Modern paints and peoples obsession to seal walls causes no end of problems.

Houses need to breathe and so do bricks and stone. And never use cement with solid walls, must be lime.

I painted a brick wall white from inside, few days later becoming yellow in patches. It's a solid brick wall no cavity. It's nothing new, same thing happened 20 yeas ago, paint doesn't peel but goes yellow. I checked from outside, bricks are not painted and are sound and dry, no evidence of leaks.
Any sealer I can use to stop the yellowing?

Post some photos please.

Sounds like damp. Is it a kitchen or bathroom?

How old is the house

What sort of paint?

Is it a chimneybreast

Is the wall plastered

Has there been tobacco smoke or an open fire in the past

It's a warehouse , it's not too bad and doesn't get much worse. It was painted last time in 1998 and repainted 3 weeks ago, yellow in patches might just leave it , previous tenants didn't make a fuss and hope new ones will not complain.

wall1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Post some photos please.

Sounds like damp. Is it a kitchen or bathroom?

How old is the house

What sort of paint?

Is it a chimneybreast

Is the wall plastered

Has there been tobacco smoke or an open fire in the past

Masterful avoidance of answering questions.

Paint in 1998 was Wickes white emulsion matt

Paint in March 2022 is Leyland White emulsion contract matt from Selco

As it's 'only' a warehouse, you could apply some white oil-based undercoat to the stains, then emulsion over.

It won't solve the damp problem long term, but it should get rid of the stains for now.

If the stains were there before repainting then they'll always come back through. You need to put some stain block on first or undercoat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back