Yellowing gloss...... again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, So 7 months ago I done a few rooms in the house with Dulux Once... I know I know, I have since learned this stuff is awful. Its yellowing already. No I have undercoated the hall and am looking for a good gloss that wont yellow within the year. I have been advised that Crown Solo and B&Q colours gloss is good and slow yellowing. Also that Acrylic loss is good.

What the best recommendations from you pros on here? Ideally looking to buy and get started tonight.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Crown solo is the best of all the oil based glosses, the Which magazine tested all these paints in july 2010 and found crown solo to be the least likely to yellow. Shame you've undercoated though as the solo would have been sufficient on its own.

I would recommend using an acrylic gloss as they tend not to yellow. Johnstones acrylic gloss is what i have been using of late and find it to be a great product.

Just watch the brush marks as due to faster drying times they don't fall out like oil glosses! :cry:

Sponsored Links

The comments on that page contradict the Which magazines results, my experience of using solo is 100% positive and the same views are shared by many other pro decorators that I know and work with. The which magazine has been testing paints for many years and its findings are both trusted and well respected in our game. I've been back to customers twelve months later and longer, and the solo has hardly discoloured, it's certainly on par with the pre 2010 glosses before they reduced the solvent content.

The comments on that page contradict the Which magazines results, my experience of using solo is 100% positive and the same views are shared by many other pro decorators that I know and work with. The which magazine has been testing paints for many years and its findings are both trusted and well respected in our game. I've been back to customers twelve months later and longer, and the solo has hardly discoloured, it's certainly on par with the pre 2010 glosses before they reduced the solvent content.

Agreed. It does still yellow but is by far the best of the whites available.

I have tried the new attemt by dulux trade and the solvent based b/w gloss supplied in BLUE LID tins seems to be V good . went back to job this morning and h/l/s i did 8 wks ago has not yelloed at all . In fact I dabbed a bit of gloss on one part of a frame and it touched up better than the pre 2010. .
The price will put some off I guess~~ £24 p 2.5 ltre.. 2 yrs ago that got me 5 ltre :rolleyes:

Goood luck

Yellowed ** well tis l8 lol

Agreed. It does still yellow but is by far the best of the whites available.

So, you think they hadn't been using it right, or were lying?

So, you think they hadn't been using it right, or were lying?

Well, I can't say they were lying because as I've already said, it does still yellow, just not as much as the other brands.

I think the best bet for the OP in order to achieve a long lasting white finish would be to go with the Johnstone's Acrylic Gloss, as recommended by vibrobullit407.

Since the 2010 VOC had to be reduced in all solvent based paints.....All paint maker's have had problems with Topcoats yellowing very quickly....Dulux have now re-made new topcoats with blue lids....But if you are painting in rooms with very little natural light the topcoat will go yellow very quick....The best gloss/satinwood topcoat would be using a acrylic gloss.....this will stay white for longer....Solo is good but it is a retail product & not Trade.....

Thanks guys, have went for the acrylic gloss so will be applying at the weekend... B&Q man said he had never heard of it lol

Well, I tried Crown Solo today and I have to say it certainly went on well, and covered really well. Time will tell on the yellowing front!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back