Yellowing gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a few other topics on yellowing gloss paint and understand the reasons why it might happen and a few suggestions on how to rectify.

However, I would like to ask the experts out there what I should do in my particular situation:

I have sanded, cleaned (not with sugar soap as I wasn't aware of this at the time, though I'd be surprised if it made any difference anyway), and painted first with Wickes undercoat, and then with Wickes liquid gloss. It turns slightly off white after a short time. As I have done the majority of the house's internal wood work, I really can't face having to sand down again. Is there a way to rectify this problem without sanding again?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, all oil based paints will yellow after time, and if in good condition sugar soap would not play a leading role with regard to the longevity of the coating.

The new 2010 paints are inferior in quality and will often yellow in as little as 14 days after application. Oil/Alkyd paint systems rely mainly on sunlight to achieve optimum brightness.

Wickes paint is made by Johnstones/ Leyland and in my opinion is in itself again inferior.

Whilst the battle rages on regarding these so called 2010 coatings, it may be a good idea to go down the water based/Acrylic route, these applications don't yellow but are harder to obtain a quality finish, useing a synthetic brush such as Purdy a good finish can be achieved.

Dec.

I have some purdy brushes so I can use those along with some water based paint as you suggest. Would I need to sand down before hand or would I get away with just adding it onto the existing coat of gloss?

I wouldn't use water based paint on fresh gloss if I were you. It's asking for trouble.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest a light sanding to provide a key for your new gloss .

As mentioned a light abrasion before applying your product is essential, water based applications are fine to use on any oil based coating. Yet they don't have the covering power of their oil based counterparts.

Practice with these paints and the use of the correct brush will and can achieve a good finish, one of which wont yellow.

Dec.

Yea, I reckon I can cope with a quick sanding with one of those sponge sanders. Sanding down like getting rid of the imperfections would be too much to cope with after all the work I've done in this house (e.g. just replaced the kitchen on my own).

Thanks to all who replied, your input is greatly appreciated.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back