Yet another question about plasterboard jointing sequence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two questions that I can't see a definite answer to elsewhere.

1) Do I let the first application of jointing compound filling the gap between plasterboard panels dry, before the tape goes on embedded in the compound? It is clear that the tape will need to dry before applying further layers on top of it.

2) Should I rub the joint down after each layer or only once I have applied all the layers?

Sponsored Links
You would normally bed the tape straight into the wet filler if you are using paper tape. If you are using self adhesive fibre mesh tape, stick the tape over the joint in the plasterboard, and then apply the filler/joint compound over the tape. You are better to leave each coat to dry before putting on the next one....You would sand down once all the layers are on, and it has dried out completely, (couple of days).

Roughcaster.

Is this method used when not skimming? ie, painting straight onto the plasterboard?

This method would be used if you are just taping, and not wanting to skim. You would then decorate straight onto the taped wall...... For anybody who has a wall that has been taped, this could still be skimmed over if required.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
i have just put the second board up and it fits perfectly without a gap. there is a very small step though.

shound i purposely leave a gap or is it best to get it as close to the oher board as possible?

in addition to looking ok, is expansion an issue at all?

Regards,

Kera

If it helps, there's lots of videos on youtube showing american contractors taping and using "mud" on joins. Seems to be rather popular over there.

Just search for "drywall".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back