Yet another shed insulation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having trawled through dozens of similar questions, I imagine regulars here could probably live without another confused post about shed insulation, so my apologies, but…I’m confused.

Shed is a log cabin, 44mm T+G, with a pent roof. Should this work: batten out with 25mm deep timber, then foil-backed celotex over that - i.e. on top of battens, not between, so there’s a 25mm airgap - and foam/tape all joins. Then ply on top, fixed through celotex to battens.

Similar for roof, but with vents into the airgap at either end.

Should there also be a breathable membrane on walls between T+G and battens? I’m wondering if that’s more likely to trap any moisture against the inside of the T+G than just leaving the airgap.

thanks
TimH

Sponsored Links
Yes ok but the battens and wood on the outside should be treated, and the void created needs to be drained and ventilated.

Yes ok but the battens and wood on the outside should be treated, and the void created needs to be drained and ventilated.

By drained, do you literally mean a row of holes in the floor within the airgap? (Pardon the naive question!)

Sponsored Links
By drained, do you literally mean a row of holes in the floor within the airgap? (Pardon the naive question!)
As long as it doesn't damage anything or pool anywhere, that would be fine.
Basically any unheated void can get condensation in, unless you can somehow seal it perfectly with dry air inside (eg a double glazed window unit meets that criteria)
So given that, you need a way for it to escape without harming anything.

Many thanks John. I forgot one other question: I was planning to put electric cabling in the void and poke it through the insulation where needed, sealing round it with foam. I think, from further trawling of the archives, that this shouldn't be an issue in terms of cables overheating for such relatively thin insulation, though might mean using slightly heavier cable than otherwise to compensate for the de-rating(?) effect. Does that sound about right?

It's a timber shed. It don't need vapour barriers, membranes or vented cavities. Timber is permeable and breathes on it's own, and is not massively prone to condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back