Yet another soil waste problem........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First time I've posted so apologies in advance.

I want to replace my current toilet, a macerator, with a normal soil pipe. On a side note can I reiterate how rubbish macerators are. Having to live with one is beyond a joke, and I suggest anyone who advocates them should try living with one for anything more than a couple of weeks.
I assume the previous owners had the macerator installed because

1) It's Cheap
2) It's quite a lot distance to the soil vertical pipe

My question is:
I have two ways of doing the soil pipe
either
1) 2.8m straight , 90 degrees and a further 3.2m or
2 )straight out the wall, 90 degrees, 2m, 90 degrees, 2.6m, 90 degrees, 30cm

Both ways the fall is over 1m, but I'm still concerned about the distance and number of bends. I've done plenty of plumbing before but never done a soil pipe.

Can I do either?
Which is better?
Do both conform to building regs?
Will I need a soil pipe guard?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You should only have a macerator on the second toilet !!!

Tony

Hi tony,

I assume what you mean is building regs states that you must have a non-macerator toilet in the dwelling.

I should have added this is a second bathroom on the second (english) floor. There is a normal toilet on the floor below.

Building regs state you are allowed to have a length of pipe of max 6m from toilet to soil pipe, so as long as you have adequate fall (minimum 18mm per metre for a 100mm wc branch) then this will comply with building regs. I would personally go for the first option as it keeps it to a single bend and two lengths of pipe.

This diagram from approved document H may be of some help;

stackconnections.jpg

Hope this helps

R Critchley

Sponsored Links
"Adequate" fall is not the concern for soil pipes, it has to be correct. If it's too steep the water runs off leaving solids high and dry.

If I remember correctly the book says between 9 and 90mm per meter, but the time-honoured "McGuires rule" is 1 in 40. (25mm per metre) Stick near it for your longish run and you'll be OK.

I have read the info contained within 'Yet another soil waste problem....' and have found it most useful for my own current project of adding a second upstairs toilet..

But I still have a couple of questions as to fesability before I start in ernest.. and they are.

1. Does the W/C soil pipe have to have an atmospheric vent (upstream of the W/C) or is it ok to just join into the existing vertical soil pipe that has a 'stench pipe top' ?

2. If I can fit a 5.5m long 4" dia W/C waste pipe, can I drop both a bath and a sink waste (40mm pipes) into it or must I run a seperate pipe(s) all the way to the vertical soil pipe ? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back