Yet more censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see once again my factually correct posts have been removed thus preventing members from learning from their misconceptions. I thought the idea of these forums was to help not to perpetuate incorrect terms. Am I wrong?

Sponsored Links
I see once again my factually correct posts have been removed thus preventing members from learning from their misconceptions.
Thankfully, yes.
I thought the idea of these forums was to help not to perpetuate incorrect terms. Am I wrong?
You may have other ideas (which is your prerogative) but, as far as I am concerned, the primary purpose of this forum is to provide safe an useful advice to DIYers without confusing them or frightening them away - and hopefully without driving the 'regulars' to distraction.

Am I wrong?
Yes
I thought the idea of these forums was to help not to perpetuate incorrect terms.
The reason people come to a site like this is for advice, generally how to do something safely. They don't give a flying fig what that box under the stairs is called, be it a fuse box, consumer unit or grupple flammer. What they don't want or need is silly little know nothings criticising them for using the wrong style of decimal point.

Sponsored Links
What they don't want or need is silly little know nothings criticising them for using the wrong style of decimal point.
Or self-styled epidemiologists or international statesmen telling that you don't need a jab against Coronavirus or that those that voted Brexit are idiots! ;)

I do wish Winston could differentiate between LED elements and LED lamps

LED lamps use one or more LED elements to convert electric current into light.

An LED element requires a controlled DC current. This current is provided by and controlled by an LED driver

An LED lamp has LED element(s) and an integral LED driver.

So Winston should have said
"" LED lamps don’t normally require D.C"
"" LED drivers can run on D.C. or 50/60 Hz AC""

Last edited:
I see once again my factually correct posts have been removed thus preventing members from learning from their misconceptions. I thought the idea of these forums was to help not to perpetuate incorrect terms. Am I wrong?

You could be wrong.

The only posts of yours I have noticed that have been removed are the ones you sent about plugtops.

Since 'plugtop' is a recognised trade term, has been for many decades, it could look a bit childish to repeatedly go on about needing the rest of the plug rather than just the top cover.

There are many items in the world that have weird names that the average person cannot explain.

Many name origins simply get lost in the passage of time.

There are alternative meanings to 'top', vintage plugs were often round, this could explain it.

I suppose you could try re-constructing your posts in a manner where they are less likely to get removed.

For example, you make the first line or two consist of something relevant and helpful that has something to do with the matter in hand.

Then start a new paragraph, put entirely in brackets, where you can start with something like 'in my opinion', or 'for what it's worth', and then you could go on with your thoughts and outlandish claims.

So, put the fact at the start of the post, and all the fiction last, that way people will begin to lose interest and take less notice of all the twaddle, and that way there will be less objections and less likely to have your posts removed.

You could be wrong.

The only posts of yours I have noticed that have been removed are the ones you sent about plugtops.

Since 'plugtop' is a recognised trade term, has been for many decades, it could look a bit childish to repeatedly go on about needing the rest of the plug rather than just the top cover.

There are many items in the world that have weird names that the average person cannot explain.

Many name origins simply get lost in the passage of time.

There are alternative meanings to 'top', vintage plugs were often round, this could explain it.

I suppose you could try re-constructing your posts in a manner where they are less likely to get removed.

For example, you make the first line or two consist of something relevant and helpful that has something to do with the matter in hand.

Then start a new paragraph, put entirely in brackets, where you can start with something like 'in my opinion', or 'for what it's worth', and then you could go on with your thoughts and outlandish claims.

So, put the fact at the start of the post, and all the fiction last, that way people will begin to lose interest and take less notice of all the twaddle, and that way there will be less objections and less likely to have your posts removed.
Interesting thoughts Sparkwright. Perhaps you should be a mod.

There are a number of "trade terms" that are obviously wrong and I don't believe removing posts correcting them is the way to go.

I do actually agree with your thoughts on censorship, nothing here should be censored, unless it relates to something dangerous or criminal.

Maybe there should be a way for all the irrelevant crap to be shunted to the back of each thread - but that would take too much time and effort, not to mention being mind-numblingly boring, when you look at some of the stuff others send in. Wouldn't be fair to all the people who take the trouble to write.

No desire to be a moderator thank you.

Often when I write something I look back at what I wrote and think to myself "do I really need to say that?", "Will my posting this help the conversation at all?" and generally if the answer is "no" then I simply delete what I wrote. Having actually written it the urge to post it is then gone.

How about trying this method Winston?

Just because you know all the correct terms for everything and think that you use them and only them it does not mean that everyone else does.
They will use whatever terms they know and as long as the message is understood then the whole point of it is achieved, there is no need to tell them that they are wrong
about something they said while trying to explain an issue, especially as it ALWAYS brings about a different discussion on the thread.

I have moderated other forums, it's not an easy life but it's done because it needs doing, sometimes you have to make the decision to remove something because of the furor it will cause no matter if it's factually correct or not.
(I now moderate over 12000 members of some recycling groups, thankfully wed don't have discussions like here.)

Yes, there an urge on any forum sometimes to simply get something off your chest, to write something you strongly believe in for the whole world to see.

Nothing wrong with that, if you can justify it if needed.

But you do have to be careful not to repeat yourself too many times, as you would get a reputation of sounding like a stuck record.

I think the trick is to write what you have to say in a constructive, diplomatic, useful way - without making an issue out of it.

Or, if you can at least, say nothing at all.

The best way is to set up your own personal thread, as many have done here, so you're not hi-jacking a post, and people can put their full attention to it, or they can ignore it if they wish.

Interesting thoughts Sparkwright. Perhaps you should be a mod.

There are a number of "trade terms" that are obviously wrong and I don't believe removing posts correcting them is the way to go.
Oh no winston1 don't be such a pratt suggesting SW be a Mod. I can give you a whole list of contributers on here who would have banned you ages ago if they were Mods. and, despite being one of the more diplomatic critics, I believe SW would be included.

Yes, there an urge on any forum sometimes to simply get something off your chest, to write something you strongly believe in for the whole world to see. ... Nothing wrong with that, if you can justify it if needed.
Agreed.
But you do have to be careful not to repeat yourself too many times, as you would get a reputation of sounding like a stuck record.
Quite so - but, worse than that (rom the point of view of the perpetrator), endless repetition and/ore a non-'diplomatic approach is totally counter-productive in terms of one's personal 'crusade'.
I think the trick is to write what you have to say in a constructive, diplomatic, useful way - without making an issue out of it. ... Or, if you can at least, say nothing at all.
Very true, but it's not really "a trick" - it's how things should be done!

Kind Regards, John

I think the trick is to write what you have to say in a constructive, diplomatic, useful way - without making an issue out of it.

Or, if you can at least, say nothing at all.

Very true, but it's not really "a trick" - it's how things should be done!
Kind Regards, John
I'll add to say that if all one does is criticise one will soon fall out of favour and even the small nuggets of good advise will soon get lost amongst the plethora of tish

Sadly very few on here would be able to recall the last time winston1 posted something interesting/useful. I try to like or thank anything of winston1's that does fall into that category in a bid to show the way but I suspect not even he notices and even more sadly isn't even interested as it doesn't come within his/her remit of self importance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back