yet another extractor problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick question for all thanks very much....

the wife has been on to me to replace our extractor fan for ages. I had a feeling there was something wrong with the board of our Vectaire, so i went out and bought a cheap timer one from B and Q.

I am aware from previous posts about 3 pole isolator etc

I have a 3 pole isolator outside the bathroom door. From this are 3 wires to the extractor. L, N and L2

Now the problem i have is this. I wired my extractor up this evening, no probs i thought, all working fine. however. the fan seems to work as opposite. So the fan works when i have the light off, but doesnt when the light is on. even the timer works correctly, just the wrong way round from a light point of view. I had no problems like this with the last extractor, so i thought wiring up would be pretty simple. I am aware of the risks involved, and if people suggest something major, then i would not risk my life and get professionals in. Just seems so close to working correctly!

any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Bit of an odd one - first thing I'd check is the permanent live and switch live are the correct way around but I'm not entirely sure that it would cause this type of problem.
Do you have a multimeter? It is worth checking that the switch live is on when the light is - you haven't had the switch replaced with a 2 way one have you and someone has mis-wired it?

Bit of an odd one - first thing I'd check is the permanent live and switch live are the correct way around but I'm not entirely sure that it would cause this type of problem.
Do you have a multimeter? It is worth checking that the switch live is on when the light is - you haven't had the switch replaced with a 2 way one have you and someone has mis-wired it?

hello,

i havent touched the 3 pole isolator at all, only to confirm the outputs to the extractor fan. I havent touched any other wires apart from the ones into the extractor fan. These are Brown, Grey and Black. The old fan was already installed (new build). The old fan definitely had the 3 connections. I dont have multimeter right now, but can get one for measuring later or even tomorrow. the fan /timer both work fine , it seems very strange. Not sure why it seems inverted?

you've swapped the switched live and neutral..

effectively meaning that when the light is on there is no neutral, but with the light off, the switch wire os at neutral potential through the lamp..
usually the wiring code is:-

brown - live
black - switched live
grey - neutral.

however this is not set in stone and some still use black for neutral..

Sponsored Links
you've swapped the switched live and neutral..

effectively meaning that when the light is on there is no neutral, but with the light off, the switch wire os at neutral potential through the lamp..
usually the wiring code is:-

brown - live
black - switched live
grey - neutral.

however this is not set in stone and some still use black for neutral..

Hey thanks buddy, you are a life saver!

As im no professional, i was only going from what the 3 pole isolator markings! Obviously the person before just wired up anything, completely ignoring the markings beside the contacts. Goes to show that you should always check someone elses work.

You were 100% right. Grey was indeed Neutral, however on the isolator, beside the N marking comes the brown wire. Thats what threw me.
anyway, thanks a million, tested the timer and all working fine. Hope your good advice can help someone else too. I would return the favour, but i dont think you need any advice on Radiopharmaceuticals at the moment :D

I'm having a strange sensation while peeing at the moment... any help you can give? :)

Move away from the computer and any other electrical equipment whilst peeing :LOL:

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

I'm having a strange sensation while peeing at the moment... any help you can give? :)

first of all make sure you have taken down your trousers :D

I could get you something but it would probably make you glow all day :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back