Yet more censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but if the sign showed 'HAZARDOUS VOLTAGE' I'd be totally happy
So would I, I'd be happy with any 'warning' that didn't mention 'low voltage' (e.g. "DANGER - ELECTRICITY").
Exactly my thoughts. except if the device contained a high current supply of some sort such as a lead acid battery, I'd hate to think of the sparks and molten metal etc.
True, and that might deserve some sort of appropriate warning label, too - but not one which mentioned 'voltage' (low, high or anything else)!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Interesting thoughts Sparkwright. Perhaps you should be a mod.

There are a number of "trade terms" that are obviously wrong and I don't believe removing posts correcting them is the way to go.
to be fair lots off terms mean different thing in different setting it doesnt make any one right or wrong it just means we all have to be aware and make allowances and try not to be to pedantic as it puts people off
for example
a trench is-------- used to put water pipes or cables in ---no its not its a groove across wood to for a housing joint or similar
a transformer is ------a coil around a metal laminated core with other winding as the output---- no its not its a toy that changer form by manipulation off componants around hinges and other connected actions

better to help rather than educate some one in a new craft that become dangerous at it
after all iff some one talks the lingo you assume they know what they are doing
if they make mistakes,in description you know to give them more attention :D

There is a lot of wrong terminology used in this trade, and often I will deliberately use the wrong terminology to certain people if I think they will understand it better.
I can understand that, but it certainly does not apply to a plug calling it a plugtop.

Sponsored Links
There is a danger in telling people too much though, it can confuse them, or create an 'information overload'.
Very much so.
Or if the people in question are already a bit clued up, it can actually patronise them.
Also very true - particularly if the 'telling' they are on the receiving end of is not very 'diplomatic' in its language.
There is a lot of wrong terminology used in this trade, and often I will deliberately use the wrong terminology to certain people if I think they will understand it better.
Consider yourself lucky that you're talking about the electrical trade - it's far worse in other fields, such as healthcare - if doctors, nurses and other healthcare professions did not spend a lot of people using, or listening to (and understanding) ('technically') 'wrong terminology', they would spend most of their time giving 'language tuition' and would have little time left to actually provide any healthcare.
I refuse to use words like 'line' instead of 'live' to various people as it's either going to baffle them or worse still, annoy them.
Same here. I would never you the word 'line' (in the sense you mean) in a forum like this unless I was pretty sure that I was talking to 'someone in the know' - and, even that I would be fairly hesitant to do so, since others reading it could well get confused or misled. In particular, no matter how 'correct' it may be, I would certainly never refer to a neutral conductor as a 'live' one - since that could be just plain dangerous.

Kind Regards, John

I can understand that, but it certainly does not apply to a plug calling it a plugtop.
It may not be totally correct, but your interjections do not add any VALUE to a typical thread. The complaint about you is that what that you do is to ride one of your hobby horses in to the middle of a discussion where a forum member is trying to assist someone.
You rarely provide a solution, or a suggestion. You clump in with a high-handed attempt at what you think is education on a minute point of terminology.

Please try something like this: join in the topic and make a practical suggestion to help the OP resolve his/her problem. Having done that, I am sure that nobody would mind if you then added a paragraph at the end to merely say "by the way, the correct term for this is plug, and not plug top". Or: "in addition, although permitted by wiring regulations, I do not believe that connection a BS1363 socket to a lighting circuit is a good idea".

Then you have provided a solution, an added your view in a gentle manner.

Yes but you need to check the spelling - DAGNER
Ah I see:LOL: I wasn't looking for spelling mistakes (as I youshoolee don't).

When I went for a job interview as a panel builder I was shown around the workshop to see the sort of thing they did. a big (from memory about 2.4m high by 3.6m long) panel was being tested and apart from 'supply healthy' the only light on was for the 'pressurisurisation unit'.

if doctors, nurses and other healthcare professions did not spend a lot of people using, or listening to (and understanding) ('technically') 'wrong terminology', they would spend most of their time giving 'language tuition' and would have little time left to actually provide any healthcare.

Elbow.gif

Telling them they are wrong all helps in their knowledge.
I expect other members to back me up not go around saying pendant or worse.
Will you grow up!!
Will you ever learn from your mistakes??

The term "FUSE BOX" has been used for a century, in that time millions of people have been born and educated with the term and WE ALL KNOW THE TERM and on top of that WE ALL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Does it make any difference whatsoever when someone says "I've had my fusebox changed and the new one has got..."? No of course it doesn't, well not to them, not to me, and not to 99.9% of others on this forum. That leaves just one pathetic Billy no mates with some sort of personal and insulting crusade who thinks otherwise.

The term "PLUG TOP" has been used for half a century, in that time millions of people have been born and educated with the term and WE ALL KNOW THE TERM and on top of that WE ALL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Does it make any difference whatsoever when someone says "The plugtop gets hot"? No of course it doesn't, well not to them, not to me, and not to 99.9% of others on this forum. That leaves just one Billy no mates with some sort of personal and insulting crusade who thinks otherwise.

Grow up and join in with the crowd. I know you are capable and have made some sensible and usefull posts but unfortunately, as mentioned in an earlier post, no one notices or cares. I'd make the comparison with dropping £1, I'll stop to pick it up but if it dropped in a muddy puddle I wouldn't bother.

And again Ive deleted some of what I'd written after a delay before posting, in fact I've made post #37 in the meantime.

They are still wrong - or daft, though.

We all know what people mean when they write "would of" but it is still a sign of ignorance (proper meaning) and should be corrected.

The term "FUSE BOX" has been used for a century, in that time millions of people have been born and educated with the term and WE ALL KNOW THE TERM and on top of that WE ALL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Does it make any difference whatsoever when someone says "I've had my fusebox changed and the new one has got..."? No of course it doesn't, well not to them, not to me, and not to 99.9% of others on this forum. That leaves just one pathetic Billy no mates with some sort of personal and insulting crusade who thinks otherwise.

The term "PLUG TOP" has been used for half a century, in that time millions of people have been born and educated with the term and WE ALL KNOW THE TERM and on top of that WE ALL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Does it make any difference whatsoever when someone says "The plugtop gets hot"? No of course it doesn't, well not to them, not to me, and not to 99.9% of others on this forum.

The term fuse may have been used for a long time but we have moved on and fuse boxes are no longer fitted.

I had never heard the term plug top before coming on this forum and none of my family nor non tech friends knows what it appears to mean. They all know what a plug is however.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back