Yorkshire sliding sash windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a set for the GF house but can't find plans or a book. If anyone can help I'd be grateful. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
What exactly do you mean by "Yorkshire" sliding sashes? There's nothing special about sliding sashes in Yorkshire, is there? Sliding sashes are either vertical or horizontal sashes. Which do you have? Verticals are far and away the most common

As to plans, you've got to be kidding, haven't you? There never were and probably never will be plans available to make such windows. There is, however, a sort of "standard" way to make (vertical) sliding sashes which you were taught as an apprentice at obne time where you set-out the dimensions to suit the window on a rod and work from that. Easy enough if you are working from an existing window that's gone rotten and you're doing a like for like replacement - a bit more difficult if you're replacing something like a top hung casement. If you require double glazing (If? I mean you will to meet the Building Regs - mandatory for replacements unless you are in a Conservation Area where different rules can and do apply) then you'll need to consider whether to use either lightweight ultra-thin argon-filled glazing units or the standard, heavy and thick ones which in my opinion spoil the overall appearance of the window. Also will you want to put in single DG units per sash (with stuck-on false beads), or one DG unit per "pane"? And can you actually incorporate traditional sash cord/pulley/weights or do you need to go to spring balancers (necessary for heavier DGs)?

Give us some idea of what a "Yorkshire" sash is and the sizes and maybe someboy will fill you in on what you need to do

Windows had tended to be more of a horizontal proportion in smaller buildings. Think of the low ceiling heights. At some time, larger panes with timber glazing bars started replacing the old style leaded windows especially on “new builds”. Rather than having a hinged opening casement it was easier/cheaper to have a carpenter make the opening sliding horizontally. I dare say the blacksmiths lost a fair bit of work. This window type became know as the Yorkshire window.

Seems they were cheaper ;) hence Yorkshire.

Sponsored Links
Seems they were cheaper ;) hence Yorkshire.
They were always called Yorkshire "lights" and sliding sashes when I was an apprentice and were quite rare. Certainly a couple of books from the early part of last century that I have agree with that.

Yorkshire = cheaper. Well, cannae disagree with that! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back