You don't get a second chance!

I've never seen that sawstop used in anger as in, pushing timber thru it at normal working speed. Impressive as it is, I have only ever seen the hot dog pushed very gingerly into the saw. One has to wonder....

Clever kit, tho.

Sponsored Links
I did notice on the video, the inventor only touched the sawblade very gingerly. I have to wonder what would happen if he were to simulate actually pushing some timber in at normal feed speed?. Don't think the result would be the same somehow. ;) ;) ;) ;)

How can that thing work? I dont see how it can tell the difference between a piece of ply and a sausage finger!

Sponsored Links
I HATE circular saws! I've had a couple of near incidents of where they've hit a nail and kicked back and come towards my knee, luckily the safety cover has flipped back otherwise i'd have a cut like that on my knee :eek:

Did you manage to claim any compensation from your friend through his liability insurance or did he not have any?

Thing is with the sawstop,,,, When it actually operates, it ruins the blade, probably??? damages the motor and has to have a technician out to re-set the sawstop,,, All at a cost to either the employer or the person trying to cut their arm/finger/hotdog off. ;) ;) ;) ;)

The blade is typically pretty wrecked. The motor and gearbox should survive, and you do not need a technician to fix it. You just remove the old blade and module and install the new ones.

A hell of a lot preferable to losing digits.

Video... Makes me... want to... buy... more... tools.

That table saw is definitely a great idea, even if it isn't 100% effective I'd prefer those odds over an unprotected one.

Mickeymoody asks about a manual nail holder. I use a pair of pliers to hold a nail when I think that there is any chance of missing with a heavy hammer. (I don't bother when I'm using the pin hammer on tacks.)

Mickeymoody asks about a manual nail holder. I use a pair of pliers to hold a nail when I think that there is any chance of missing with a heavy hammer. (I don't bother when I'm using the pin hammer on tacks.)

I tried that method, and my nails get even more L shaped than before...I think there is a point of self flagellation, (sp), that L shaped nails vs pain stops. Nails are cheap, a dead thumb is temporary, hitting 99/100 L shaped nails is bad. If there is a market for them, then I'm your man! But blood money must be paid for the service!

To clarify; you just smacked your thumb, a right old whack....your thumb throbs, you hit yourself with a heavy implement, and now you are prepared to do it again? Right! And we do!

Where and when did the practice of storing nails, in your mouth start, and who would consider that to be a 'good idea' ?

Mickeymoody, if you are bending that many nails then one of two things are probably the case - a) you have an incredibly bad aim or b) your hammer has developed a convex rounded head so that it slips sideways when it strikes the nail unless hit dead centre.

1. Hire a Paslode to put your nails in - or
2. Put nail thru a bit of card and keep the pinkies well away - or
3. Gimlet a guide hole and gently tap the nail until it is self supporting, fingers away and -whack.

Thank you for stopping us being complacent with dangerous tools, you are a martyr to the cause Jonny!

I remember reading some H&S document from a forestry type area in the US or Canada and it said something really blunt and funny;

"An angle grinder is NOT a circular saw!"

Due to the number of people they'd found using circular saw blades in their grinders - which spin quicker and can burst the blades.

If you're going to have you handies that close to one of the most dangerous tools you can pick up, a pair of these may come in handy (kevlar gloves, £9, toolstation.com).

It's also possible they may tangle in the blade and pull your hand in. Obviously, the best idea is some clamps or a stand.

I have them for sharp bits of clay soil pipe and the likes.

I saw a guy on 999 who put his saw down, the guard wasn't closing properly and it caught on his pants, then rocketed up them like a Road Runner cartoon or some cheesy horror film, into his groin. Penis aside, which it was at the time I believe, it went through the carotid artery in his thigh (which is about as important and big as the ones in your throat).

It's also kind of funny that I expect most men would take the potential death situation of severing the artery over removing their package. "You've cut a major artery!" "But my penis is okay right!?" :D

44049.jpg

Thing is with the sawstop,,,, When it actually operates, it ruins the blade, probably??? damages the motor and has to have a technician out to re-set the sawstop,,, All at a cost to either the employer or the person trying to cut their arm/finger/hotdog off. ;) ;) ;) ;)

The blade is a goner, but the rest is okay. It stops the blade by flicking a block of metal up into the teeth. Aluminium I'm guessing, so the blade doesn't shatter.

The blade is typically pretty wrecked. The motor and gearbox should survive, and you do not need a technician to fix it. You just remove the old blade and module and install the new ones.

A hell of a lot preferable to losing digits.

It is!

However, I wonder what else might set it off. I expect it's working by sensing a change in capacitance, like those buttons on the iPod. Those also start going funny around damp. I've seen these set off with sausages, so it's not tuned to human bodies. Makes me wonder if it might go off if damp wood goes through or for similar reasons.

Fein have released an angle grinder with these buttons on, four of them actually. All four need contact making to switch it on, then it stays on with fewer. It costs A LOT. And again, I wonder what that means in terms of gloves and using it out in the damp.

I bought DeWalts biggest angle grinder to do some really heavy work and was quite bothered when I found it jammed in the run position when a bit of grit got stuck in the trigger. A rubber boot to cover it doesn't cost very much! I think I actually emailed them that suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back