Youngsters happiness all time low...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/society...-young-people-has-hit-13-year-low-study-finds

Is it any surprise, not just covid but all the other bull that is being chucked their way at the moment to.. there not sure whether they're allowed to be male or female without someone shouting them down... Social media infiltrated into their lives too much.. they are told to be depressed, it's almost wrong to be happy these days.. white kids are told they are too privileged cos of skin colour and they must bow down to people of colour, people of colour are told that the white person hates them and they aren't good enough to succeed in the world due to their colour...

Jobs are getting fewer, it's harder to get on the property ladder, cost of living is rocketing out of control.

The youth really do have very little to be happy about these days..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Chuck in Brexit and the young are understanding the restrictions on their life choices and freedom of movement, which further piles on the misery!

Sponsored Links
Chuck in Brexit and the young are understanding the restrictions on their life choices and freedom of movement, which further piles on the misery!
Wow, that was a quick shoehorn of Brexit into a thread, even by your standards.

Perhaps they should have voted and stopped the nasty party then like they were all supposed to have done in the GE?

The younguns have a reason to be scared of climate change too, and it's completely out of their hands.

I know a teacher, who says the kids are "all screwed up" and have been all through covid. They were pro EU generally, got their exams screwed, scared to breathe the air, etc etc.

Might be rose tinted glasses, but the 80's, 90's and 00's were great happy times and kids had a lot to look forward to (maybe early 90's teens not so much but they had raves where they got nutted off there heads)

... there not sure whether they're allowed to be male or female without someone shouting them down...
Only the transphobics shout them down. Young people tend to be more open to self-expression than older people.

white kids are told they are too privileged cos of skin colour and they must bow down to people of colour, people of colour are told that the white person hates them and they aren't good enough to succeed in the world due to their colour...
You're obviously on a "I'm a racist and a transphobe rant".
Keep going, but we need no confirming of your usual narrative.

Only the transphobics shout them down. Young people tend to be more open to self-expression than older people.

You're obviously on a "I'm a racist and a transphobe rant".
Keep going, but we need no confirming of your usual narrative.

Don't be absurd...

I'm merely pointing out that they are unable to express themselves freely....

It is a lie if people feel they have a greater freedom of expression today than they did a decade ago...

These free loving hippies who are banging the drum. About freedom of choice are those very same people shouting down others freedom of choice/expression.

The world is a very depressive and polarizing place these days, regardless of what camp you may find yourself sitting in, whether your black, white Asian, blue, green, male female, unsure etc etc someone somewhere will shout you down and splash you all over social media, where people have the ability to hide behind multiple identities for the pure intention of being mean and spiteful, cause you to lose your job for relaying an honest opinion.

Might be rose tinted glasses, but the 80's, 90's and 00's were great happy times and kids had a lot to look forward to (maybe early 90's teens not so much but they had raves where they got nutted off there heads)

The night the Berlin Wall began to be knocked down was one of the most exhilarating events of my lifetime. Finally the Cold War was over and Europeans had a genuine chance to put the remnants of the Second World War behind them.
Then America kicked off the series of wars in the Middle East and all that hope and enthusiasm evaporated in 'realpolitick' as the hawks tore those hopes to bloody shreds.
The warnings of the 1992 Climate Conference were largely ignored and the West grew complacent in its 'victory' over Communism.

Plus ca change, plus ca la meme chose.

I don't blame the youth of today for being pessimistic about their long term future when wages are stagnating, the cost of living is rising and your chances of owning your own home are vanishing over a dark horizon. No wonder they resort to drugs: i did. :mrgreen:

I'm a child of the 70s and 80s and with hindsight I'm SO pleased that era was pre Internet (for the masses.)

It's like the Sixties never happened.:rolleyes:
Yep, the young enjoyed their freedom of expression. Then as they grew older they became the usual prejudiced older generation.
That's the way it goes: remember the good old days, but don't let the youth of today enjoy it like we did. They don't know how easy it is today. :rolleyes:

However it would be true to say that children are more enlightened today, not just about the kind of issues that you've mentioned, (racism, sexism, transphobia, etc) but they are also more aware of environmental issues, and other global concerns.

Yep, the young enjoyed their freedom of expression. Then as they grew older they became the usual prejudiced older generation.
That's the way it goes: Remember the good old days, but don't let the youth of today enjoy it like we did. They don't how easy it is today. :rolleyes:

You're making an inductive mistake in forming an opinion and are dangerously close to calling older people 'gammons'.
I'm well aware how difficult things are for my daughter these days and i wonder what kind of world my grandson will inherit when the time comes.
I remember 'the good old days' of the 60s and 70s when we had such great music to listen to, and the freedom to express ourselves without censure, content to cause outrage to our elders who'd endured the grey years of war and austerity but we mostly had a respect that this current generation is lacking.
Do not blame us for your troubles, or the challenges that come your way.

It's like the Sixties never happened.:rolleyes:
You're making an inductive mistake in forming an opinion
There's irony in your voice. :rolleyes:

and are dangerously close to calling older people 'gammons'.
Not all of them, just the older, prejudiced ones that think that the youth of today are less free to accept others freedom of expression.

Do not blame us for your troubles, or the challenges that come your way.
I wasn't blaming you for my 'troubles', nor any 'challenges'. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry if you had that impression.
You appear to blaming the youth of today, rather than the older generation that created the world as it exists now.

Sponsored Links
Back