Your worst Electrical DIY Disasters!

What I find the most stupid is for someone who is unaware or don't understand the new colours easily could mistake black as neutral where it is 2nd phase / Switched line / common.

Also why is line always refereed to as live, and ring final circuits to as ring mains by the diy'ers?

Sponsored Links
Speaking of which: who is the genius who keeps changing the wire colours?

Red and black. Nice and simple. Intuitive. Everyone understands. Red is dangerous. Yellow and blue for the other phases if applicable.

Brown and blue. Hmmm, using a phase colour for neutral, not the best idea in the world. And how did earth become yellow and green? Another phase colour used in a non phase role. What was wrong with plain green? To many people, brown is the colour of earth, but here we use it as phase.

Now what have we got ? brown, black and grey?? WTF?

It couldn't be yet another ruling from Brussels, could it? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
What I find the most stupid is for someone who is unaware or don't understand the new colours easily could mistake black as neutral where it is 2nd phase / Switched line / common.
Indeed.

Almost as stupid as the people who still don't get it and and still carry on their pathetic and ignorant bleating about harmonisation 10 years after the event.

For some reason the NICIEC picked the opposite convention even though it's the one that would be less obvious to most newcomers.
They picked it because deprecating the use of black for neutral helps break that association.

Red and black. Nice and simple. Intuitive. Everyone understands. Red is dangerous. Yellow and blue for the other phases if applicable.

Brown and blue. Hmmm, using a phase colour for neutral, not the best idea in the world. And how did earth become yellow and green? Another phase colour used in a non phase role. What was wrong with plain green? To many people, brown is the colour of earth, but here we use it as phase.

I sincerely hope you are not related to Richard - he'd be turning in his grave.

BAS, no need to reply 4 times really is there?

And remember what was said the other day about you being rude and abusive? You have in this case been rude and abusive to people who have done absolutely nothing to you.

For posting this I expect it is my turn next......

BAS, no need to reply 4 times really is there?
4 different people to reply to.

And remember what was said the other day about you being rude and abusive? You have in this case been rude and abusive to people who have done absolutely nothing to you.
I am not being rude and abusive to people as some kind of revenge.

People here have made some very ignorant and stupid posts - it is important to point out to them that they have done this.

It is neither rude nor insensitive to point out the sheer ignorance and/or stupidity needed to think that changes to cable colours emerging from a CENELEC process are "yet another ruling from Brussels".

If people don't like the truth about their ignorance and/or stupidity then the thing to do is for them to stop acting in an ignorant and/or stupid way.

It is easy. Brown, well you are in the sh** if you touch that one. Green/yellow almost the same as green, that only leaves the other one (blue) for neutral.

The only way for people to stop acting thick and/or ignorant (or a more polite way to put it is misinformed, or naive). Is education, not insults.

From experience, there's only one reason I've found for people to prefer to mock the naive, rather than educate them. And it's to keep them naive, so that they can continue to be mocked for the self gratification of the 'smarter' person.

"No, it couldn't. How thick/ignorant are you?" is infinity less helpful than "Actually, they come from CENELEC, rather than Brussels".

Although CENELEC is based in Brussels... And it is a standard/ruling from them... So I don't see how this i not "another ruling from Brussels"?

Also, brown and blue should be known to most people, even per-harmonisation as the flex colors in a plug. And if you can't wire a plug, you shouldn't be touching wiring installs :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back