Youtube electricians

I must be too old, no A to D converters on the boilers I work on, just simple water level and pressure gauge, I was surprised at the skill needed to stoke a boiler, how to anticipate how much steam will be needed in 5 minutes time, and ensure only enough coal is used, so pressure release valve never blows but able to maintain the full permitted 15 miles per hour where required.

I am sure other boilers I have worked on did have automated control, the larger boilers fed steam turbines rather than reciprocating engines and were static, so could have a lot more automated control including condensers.

Sponsored Links
Our bell sets were actually lamps in a home made wooden box, very hi tech

Not used that equipment, but the first IR tester I used was a wooden-cased wind-up jobby.

Sponsored Links
Hold the probes tight and you did not get much of a shock, so one would hold them and get apprentice to turn handle to show him no harm, then get him to hold probes in place, he would be nervous so would hold them slack, so he would get a right belt.

However I went to a motor vehicle workshop and noted the impulse magneto wired up under bench to vice, so lent on the vice and sure enough some one came to talk to me, as I saw his hand reach for the mag I touched back of his neck, I for 5 minutes thought I had killed him, he did recover, but that was the end of fooling around giving people shocks, I would guess it stopped him too.

Croc clips today on insulation testers are plastic coated, but that was not the case in the 70's but you could not really wind handle and hold probes, with today's push button versions you can actually lock the test button on, so you can easy in error do what I did to that guy, and following U-tube videos it is just too easy to either not hear, or the guy not say, don't do xyz or you can get a nasty shock.

Some of ElectroBOOM's electrical videos make me laugh. He's always hurting himself. Maybe he doesn’t feel it? When I was an apprentice at a Vauxhall dealer, we had a bloke, Abdul, and he would take a spark plug lead off of a running engine, stick his finger in it and hold his nose about a quarter of an inch away from the bonnet rod and the HT spark would continually jump from his nose to the rod. He didn’t flinch. The bastard would also grab you when you walked past and shock you. We apprentices soon learned to give him a wide berth when walking past him!

LoL Tesla coil. :LOL:

Last edited:
Not used that equipment, but the first IR tester I used was a wooden-cased wind-up jobby.
OOps, I think I may still have one [with 1" diameter brass terminals] buried deep under all the other carp.

Just watched "Power outlets in the UK". I stopped at 2:37.

I just can't watch any further.

Magneto ringing hand generators on telephone systems gave a good healthy kick, crank the handle fast and 120 volts AC could be produced,

Just watched "Power outlets in the UK". I stopped at 2:37.

To be fair to him, he does do some very stupid things, but then aren't these the sort of things that people might do due to ignorance of how electricity works. He does show how stupid these actions are.

He does a good job of explaining what can happen and why it happens, and how lack of thought before acting can be dangerous.

At least he does say the UK system is far safer that the American system......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back