Zafira - alternator belt and rod end questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Zafira 1.6 16V 1999

I was supplied a new alternator belt that is 5mm shorter than the recommended. Will this be OK to use? The car has an automatic tensioner on it.

When I replaced the drop link on the passenger side I noticed some up/down play in the track rod end. Not in the link but the nut seems to need tightening up. There is about 2mm of movement. I have attempted to tighten using a jack to force the link to not spin but the nut seems rusted solid. I think it has been like it since purchase and it doesn’t knock/steering/trackings fine. Do you think it is safe to leave it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Belt will be O.K. but change that track rod end (it's worn and will continue to wear away) Change it before it makes your tyre wear away fast.

;)

Thanks for the reply.

I think I am going to replace it. As the bolt is already loose surely I just need to cut the rusted nut off, pop it off and then twist the TRE off?

I don't need one of those tools to split the joint? As I want to replace the complete TRE right?

Also are they normally difficult to unscrew/get off the inner track rod?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I hope you don't find the track rod end nut loose.....!
Much more likely is that the ball joint within the joint is rattling around. The TRE is held into the hub with a taper with the nylock nut on the end.
To replace......back off the nut on the track rod two flats. Undo the nylock nut and the old TRE should whack out but use an extractor if you want. Sometimes two hammer blows together shocks them free.
Mole grips on the track rod, unscrew the TRE, counting the turns, then screw the new one on the same amount. Engage the TRE / hub taper and do up the new nylock nut - then turn the track rod nut back up its two flats.
Afterwards, its recommended to get the tracking set up professionally to prevent tyre wear.
Enjoy!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

The nut is not loose its rusted solid but there is play up and down. IE if I push on the bottom of the bolt I can move the TRE up and down about 2mm.

When you mention "track rod two flats" whats that exactly?

I'll get one ordered to be on the safe side.

Thanks

If you look at the end of the steering rack, the rods that come out are called the track rods. The track rod end screws onto this.
Usually there is a lock nut on the track rod that prevents the track rod end from undoing....this is what I mean by just undoing it a couple of flats - just enough to slacken this nut. The TRE can then be undone in the usual way.
I'm generalising here as I've never done a Zafira one, but this is the usual way.
For the record, somewhere like Kwik Fit can supply and fit a new TRE and then track the car for you, if you prefer this route.
John :)

Sorry I get you.

Once again thanks for your replies John.

Back