Zafira steering rack leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first time post here but been a regular on the building side of diynot for years :)
Wife’s 2007 Zafira, leaking PAS fluid from one of the rubber gaiters on the rack. Assumed it’s coming from an o ring/seal, Maybe a few drops per hour. I put a tube of Wyns power steering stop leak in it, and refilled the rest with new PAS fluid.
A week later it’s still leaking, possibly not quite as much - but deffo still doing it. wondered if it’s worth repeating this with another tube of stopleak, or whether that’s a bad idea/pointless.
It’s the end of the road for the car if not I reckon - replacing the rack is a subframe lowered job which although I like getting my hands dirty, that’s a bit much at the mo! Plus assuming garage labour cost will also make it not worth it given age of the motor.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to get at the rubber gaiter from the side, and replace that alone?
It means removing the track rod end from the front hub and unscrewing the rod and nut from the track rod for access - do take careful measurements if you go down this route!
John :)

I could try ... but assumed the leak itself is from an o ring/seal on the rack and it’s now dripping out of the gaiter ... I understood that’s a rack out/rack replacement job

Yes, you are probably right but the rack boot may keep some of the oil in.....until it gets absolutely full, I guess. Feel the bellows to see how taught they are?
Big job to lower the subframe as the suspension has to be split too. :(
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yeah I reckon I’ve got limited options now other than possibly try the stop leak stuff again. I did check the other day and they didn’t feel particularly taught but it’s also fairly inaccessible even with wheel off and on axle stands due to subframe

Back