Zanussi tumble dryer tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
We have a Zanussi condensing tumble dryer which has started tripping the RCD on the fuse board. Not the MCB for the utility room plugs.

It trips when the dial is turned from the stop position but before the start button is pressed, which I thought was strange.

It's not the sockets, and the plug is a sealed one.

Any thoughts on what it might be? We can ill afford a replacement right now so if can be repaired without much expense that's the preferred option.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
earth leakages are most common on watery appliances. Start by looking for a water leak inside.

if the drier is in a cold place, it might be getting condensation inside.

Thanks John.

It was moved shortly before this problem showed. I think water might have moved inside and caused the fault. If we dry it out (hairdryer?) for a while is it likely to work again or will it most likely have fried something?

if it is tripping the RCD, there is a good chance the power was cut before causing damage.

Sponsored Links
It might need a good clean out. If there is a build up of lint and that gets wet from water sloshing about inside it will retain the dampness and be hard to dry out.

True. It's not easy to clean out without taking the whole thing to bits sadly. Maybe I'll give that a go tomorrow.

The most important area to keep clean is around the heating element and that is also the most likely area that is causing the RCD tripping.

The most important area to keep clean is around the heating element and that is also the most likely area that is causing the RCD tripping.

This is what I've done, and it seems to have been successful! Fingers crossed it lasts.

Many thanks for your input folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back