Zanussi ZWD 1472 W Washing Machine Fault E51

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I noticed some water leaking from beneath the front of my washer / dryer so I turned it on its side to get a better look. I didn't spot the leak but now it lights up as usual but won't run and gives the error code E51 when I ask it what the matter is.

I took the top of and can see that there is water on the wiring loom next to the PCB on the top right side near the front.

Any advice please?

Ed

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing you tipped it over to the right and now water left in the detergent compartment has gone onto the main PCB on the right hand side . Sorry mate but its a classic error . You need to replace the main PCB .

I'm guessing you tipped it over to the right and now water left in the detergent compartment has gone onto the main PCB on the right hand side . Sorry mate but its a classic error . You need to replace the main PCB .

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

Lucky for me the PCB is available although £150. I am going to try to replace the damaged components first. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the circuit diagram?

Sponsored Links
You can get a wiring diagram covering the entire machine but not just the board itself but I can tell you E51 is specifically pointing to the motor relay on the board . Your local tv repair shop maybe able to repair the board for you and quick look down the tip might uncover an identical machine.

You can get a wiring diagram covering the entire machine but not just the board itself but I can tell you E51 is specifically pointing to the motor relay on the board . Your local tv repair shop maybe able to repair the board for you and quick look down the tip might uncover an identical machine.

I've tested the relays by applying 12V to their coils and all seem to be operating correctly. The only obvious damage is resistor R119 and I can't figure out its value as it was burned to grey. I guess my local repairer or the tip will be by next port of call.

On the plus side some of the components on the PCB are military grade so might last a while.

Bringing this old thread back to life as I too have made the "classic mistake", and feel such a numpty for doing so. :oops:

The drain tube from the filter got pulled off by my gf and I tipped the machine onto its right hand side to fix the tube back. As a precaution after cleaning up the flood, I left the machine overnight to allow any residual moisture to evaporate, but when switching back on there was some clicking followed by the display going blank and the usual electrical burning smell.

I have removed the circuit board, cleaned the carbon residue and concluded that R119 is now open circuit. I am also going to remove C40 and test that as it seemed to be the focal point for the carbon residues.

I can read the markings on R119, but I am still not sure what component to source as a replacement. The markings simply say 33R 10%.

I would be immensely grateful if someone confirm what type / value of resistor I should source

IMAG0421.jpg

Its a 33 ohm 10% tolerance resistor, possibly a 2 watt.

Thanks very much, the obvious answer was the right one then. :)

I was going to order these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/4851789/ or these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/0151732/ but notice that the voltage rating is only 100v.

I can't find any 250v 33ohm resistors of the same physical size, though these http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/0159405/ are rated to 200v and 7W and could be mounted "away" from the circuit board, but I would be concerned about vibration on the leads.

Which would you recommend - I don't know if that part of the PCB is still at mains voltage or if it has already been dropped to 12v or 5v

Would need to see more of the board to ascertain likely voltage, both sides, component and solder sides.

Pack of 5, 3 watt ( 33 ohm selected from drop down menu)
Ebay item 5230891140290

At the risk of being a numpty for the second time this week, I can't find the ebay item you have referenced. I tried searching by description but couldn't find the item that way either :(

Would you mind checking the item number again please as it seems to be 13 charaters long rather than 12.

These seem to be suitable but are just physically too big at 24mm, the original is 13mm. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6W-5-Wire...upplies_ET&hash=item4620125916#ht_1315wt_1161

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Don't worry about the tolerance, they are 5% but not an issue for w/machine.
Have you tested anything else on the board other than resistors?
But for £3 its worth a shot and you'll have 4 spare in case!

I have only tested the resistors, and was going to remove the capacitors to test but decided just to replace them anyway for what they cost.

What else do you suggest I try testing ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back