Zanussi ZWT71201WA washer dryer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. My washer dryer has broken down and been fixed a few times, and is now broken again. The engineer last time told us it's because we don't use the dryer - it corrodes and messes up the electrics. The dryer is so useless we just don't bother using it. I've researched it a bit and it seems to be a common problem with these washer dryers, and I've seen people recommend just disconnecting the dryer part. I'd like to try this as the machine seems to be fine otherwise. Can anyone talk me through this as a complete newbie or would you not recommend it?

From what I can gather online the metal part in the middle that goes from top to bottom is the dryer part I have to disconnect. I read it was the 4 wires at the top. I'm just unsure now what to do next as there are lots of wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_20200925_113813.jpg
IMG_20200925_1139361.jpg

Sponsored Links
The three black wires and the one white wire that go to the white connector are the dryer element wires. Disconnect at the white connector block.

Two of the black wires go into one of two small white connectors to the right of the big white connector (just above the one with the grey wire coming out of it). I've disconnected the big connector and the little one, is that safe? It seems to be turning on ok now and display working but not sure if it's safe.

You could put some insulating tape over any connector ends just in case. The three black and one white wire coming from the back of the heater box are the connections for the double dryer element, once taken out of circuit the machine should work as a washing machine.

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for your help assuhors, it's working perfectly now.

Hi - I also followed the above instructions, first only disconnecting the smaller block.. which got the machine working again and completed the wash cycle before again tripping the Breaker at the spin cycle. Once switched back on was able to run the spin cycle separately to complete the wash... Did this around 3 times (thankfully getting some clothes washed) and then on the 4th wash it just tripped the breaker without completing the wash cycle at all.. I opened it back up again, this time disconnecting both blocks as described above, insulating both sets of blocks whilst doing so & again it completed a wash cycle but but tripped the breaker again on the spin cycle, again allowing me to complete a separate spin cycle to complete the wash.. However on 2nd wash it just tripped the breaker again without even completing the wash.. so now I’m drawing blanks... thinking it will be easier now to call an actual engineer or replace the thing
unless anyone has any further suggestions?
B6AE737D-B4B9-4F3A-9097-514440204884.jpeg
B6AE737D-B4B9-4F3A-9097-514440204884.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back