Ze and zs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question, but what does Ze and Zs mean in relation to earthing? Is it to do with calculations?

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
ZE is the earth loop reading at the intake position (fusebox etc).
ZS is the earth loop reading at the furthest point on a given circuit - example being the switch drop on a lighting circuit.

Ze is the external earth fault loop impedence
Zs is the earth fault loop impedence at the furthest point on a final circuit

They are used to ensure that automatic disconnection will be achieved in the desired time in the event of an earth fault.

Thanks for your help, I was reading an electrical book today and couldn;t quite grasp it! Also L1 and and L2, what exactly are they? I leanred a bit at the earthign systems TT, TNS and TNCS :)

Sponsored Links
L1 and L2 in which respect?
These definitions are used all over the place i.e. on light switches and labelling of phases which are two different things.

Do you mean R1 and R2? These are used in relation to testing earthing on an installation.

I'm trying to learn about electrics from a few books I have but some of it seems hard to grasp on my own. I can understand swtiching, lighting circuits, 2 and 3 way switching, ring ircuits etc but reading and learning about testing and inspections seems a bit tricky on my own!

R1 = resistance of Line conductor from protective device to measured point on circuit.

R2 = resistance of circuit protective conductor from earth terminal to measured point on circuit.

Both usually measured together at extremity of circuit by linking L to E at consumer unit and testing across L to E on circuit.

The R1 + R2 can be added to Ze to calculate Zs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back