Zilmet Expansion Vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have a new BG 330+ boiler fitted to replace my existing system boiler.

The existing boiler has an integral expansion vessel mounted at the back of the boiler, however the parts for my new boiler have just been delivered and include a separate Zilmet red expansion vessel, which is quite large and we will loose valuable cupboard space if this is fitted.

Doesn't the BG330+ come with an integral expansion vessel, if so is the reason they are fitting a separate one because it is quite a large system with 20 radiators fitted?

Sponsored Links
A system so large will require an additional EXV to be fitted.

But these questions are better addressed to the installer.

Why did you choose BG as opposed to a ( probably much cheaper ) independent ?

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony, I will ask the installers when they come to fit it all.

The reason I choose BG was because they have reduced their price by about £1200 since I had quote last year as they now have a new pricing structure.

I appreciate I could still probably get it a bit cheaper by an independent but I have no idea which independent I could rely on in my area and wanted peace of mind for ongoing maintenance etc as their quote also included Homecare 200 for the first year.

It's not strictly necessary to locate the expansion vessel close to the boiler, other than access for maintenance. 20 radiators immediatly suggests there's 20 possible locations for it.

If you are replacing an open vented system, maybe it could even be placed where the F/E cistern was.

Sponsored Links
He says the existing boiler has an EXV inside.

That seems to have been OK so far but many of the boilers now come with a smaller EXV as that suits 95% of installations.

Luckily the installers have recognised the need for an additional EXV on account of the volume of the system.

Tony

I would ask where they intend to fit it.knowing BG it will be on the kitchen wall, as an ornament.

When you say you get the first year is free, the boilers must be under guarantee for the first two years anyway, and some offer 5 years.

You will be PAYING around £1500.00 more for the BG sharks.

Yes, my existing system is a sealed system with a Megaflow, no room to fit the expansion vessel elsewhere so looks like it will be in the cupboard with the boiler as there is room for it.

I know the boiler has a guarantee but the Homecare 200 actually covers the complete system, not just the boiler.

I don't know what an independent would charge me and how good they would be but as I said before I want to be able to call for service if I have any problems and know that there is someone "further up the ladder" I can call on should it be necessary, this isn't always possible with some independents.

Thanks all for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back