Zinc roof noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a zinc roof installed and can you comment on the exterior noise levels.

I'm looking to have a zinc roof on a single storey rear extension but concerned with the level of noise it will make outside when it rains as there is a bedroom window above the roof.

Not to concerned with the interior noise as this will be the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest you seriously consider a different material. It is about the noisiest roof system you could fit. So if you have any concerns about noise surely it is best to simply steer clear of it.

Edit: In light of the post below I would add my answer was specifically in relation to the noise externally. I doubt you would be able to tell internally and of course any roof light is usually the worse internally.

The other factor to take into consideration is roof pitch. It will be at it's worse in low pitch conditions. My comments arise from being on the roof of commercial projects (plant areas) adjacent to such roofs (modern double skinned insulated ones).

So I trust the poster below will give feed back on the external sound level.

I strongly disagree but I'm biased.

I will record the rain falling on a new zinc roof tomorrow and send you a copy so you can decide for yourself.

These roofs have been around for hundreds of years so surely if it was as much a problem as the previous poster suggests there would be evidence to back it up.........

Personally I think the difference between tiles, slates, rubber and zinc is negligible when it comes to rain noise.

Polycarbonate is a very noisy material!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back