Zinnser Gardz - Any tips for before/after application?

kgk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After an earlier problem with unsatisfactory mist coat adhesion, (as suggested by Mister Helpful, Joe-90, Phatboy and others) I am turning to Zinsser Gardz and have finally found a local supplier.

From what I can tell Gardz is basically a drywall/ plasterboard sealer (with better marketing). I will be using it as part of a remediation strategy on previously prepared surfaces (I'll update that post at another time) and also as a matter of course on the rest of my walls to ensure a good foundation for decoration (belt and braces for the paranoid DIY'er).

From those of you out there who have used the product in the real world, I would really appreciate any advice or tips you think might be worth passing on.

Here are some of the basic sort of questions that come to mind.

Application:
- Brush or roller? If roller, short or medium synthetic nap?
- I need to do the ceiling and then later the walls; and when doing the walls, I can't do all the walls at once. Is there any issue with ridges / or banding I should try to manage (and if so how)?

After first application:
- If orange peel / roller stipple too pronounced, lightly sand or not?
- My understanding is that if there is any more filling to do, the process should be fill, then touch over again with Gardz. Any pitfalls trying to fill a Gardz coated surface?

Painting over:
- I can't imagine why it would be different, but if I failed to ask the question then I would no doubt soon enough learn that there is something I needed to know.

All perhaps somewhat basic, I know. And I could probably stumble my way through with out too much going wrong (optimism is so important if you are trying to finish a house). But, If you have some advice to offer, I will be grateful if you might share.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You need to sheet up really well and i'd suggest eye protection too as its very runny. Prep the wall well with sanding and dust off thoroughly. Do not overload brushes and rollers and use a short nap if walls are smooth, medium if a bit lumpy and bumpy. Apply an even coat to avoid roller stipple and brush marks, a little goes a long way, don't try to put it on thick in the belief that its better to do so. Gardz penetrates the wall but its probably worth spot priming any areas you rub down. Filling over gardz is ok just remember to apply a coat to filled areas.
Paint as normal after the advised drying time

• Thanks
Reactions: kgk
dcdec, thank you very much for your post! Really useful.

You note:
i'd suggest eye protection too as its very runny.
Which leads me to wonder if you would suggest that I, where possible, coat the walls first before the ceiling? I am thinking that with the product being so runny that if the walls are already coated, it will be easier to wipe off drips/ runs from coating the ceiling and coving.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back