Plaster repair prep for Gardz before emulsion painting

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hi

Recently fell victim to a cowboy skimmer who used Thistle Multifinish & intend to use Gardz as no doubt there will be PVA through the plaster knowing my luck. Taking no chances hence the Gardz. I will then apply Johnstones black WB matt emulsion.

I intend to patch/repair scratches in plaster and fill some missed spots with Red Devil Onetime but wondering how i avoid any potential bleeding or patches of the onetime showing through the emulsion once its applied. Do i apply gardz to whole room then fill and gardz again? Or just fill with Onetime then Gardz & paint?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I have learned a lot on here in such a short time thanks to you guys.

Sponsored Links
Red devil is lightweight filler? I've never got on with that. Try it and see what you think though.

I'd spot fill first with toupret powder.
180 grade sand
Gardz
Spot fill
Gardz those filled patches
Emulsion.

I've read about that recently on here and totally forgot all about it. Thanks for that.

Can i use either of these ready mixed versions?:

The fine filler one looks more suited but what do i know:/

Also, i'm confused with the order you stated as i tend to overthink instructions. Is it sand wall/gardz/spot fill/gards/emulsion?

Fill first. It's very dry and will set quickly over new plaster.
I blend in filled edges with damp sponge.
When dry after an hour sand.
Now get first gardz on.
Spot fill
Gardz
Emulsion.

I tend to buy powered filler however, the ready-mix is fine

Sponsored Links
Here goes my hamster brain again:/

Is the first Gardz you mentioned when i Guardz the entire room?

What is "Spot Fill" (soz) & wondering why i need a second (spot?) fill for plaster scratches 1-2mm depth?

Is the second Gardz you mentioned the whole room?

Spot fill is small areas that may have missed with the first filling. Gardz has a sheen that will highlight imperfections of areas you may want to fill.
Only need to apply one coat of gardz to entire room.
Then when you spot fill you will need gardz to seal over the small filled areas to seal them.

Thanks muchly for that:)

Been looking at Touprets ready mixed Quick Fill & also their Fine Fill but fearful of using them in case of flashing despite the claims. I'd much prefer to use these due to arthritis in my hands but sense that the powdered interior filler is the best to reduce chances of flashing?

Also, the final Gardz application after spot fill. Can i do the entire room again if i have enough left rather than spot seal?

Applying gardz over gardz can cause runs. Second coat hangs really wet. Up to you.

Thanking you once again...

It all really depends how much of the 5L Gardz i have left as it would just go to waste if not used. Room is 12ftx10ft with 8 ft ceiling drop.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back