Zinsser Bullseye 1.2.3 - How to tint? Use on floors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I know this is a popular choice of primer in this forum, so i was hoping for a little advice from those who use it...

1. The Zinsser site says that this is not suitable for floor.... Well, I'm buying it for trimmings but I do have to paint my wooden stairs in future as well. So I wondered if anyone here has used it on stairs or floors before or whether i should stick to the product guidelines and use a different product when it comes to the stairs...

2. I see that they do a tintable option. A couple of questions on that...:

- what can you use to tint the primer? Literally any paint or only certain types of paint? I have 0 knowledge of tinting...!!!
- is it possible to tint the standard 1.2.3, or must I use the tintable version if going down that route?

Huge thanks for the ongoing DIY support!

All the best

Max

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have never used Zinsser for a floor but I have had it tinted, I buy it at Brewers and just ask them to tint it whatever colour I'm using. Last time it was to go under Dulux Orchid White, they tinted it and it came out pretty much the same as the top coat.

If you have already bought it I suggest you take it into a local trade outlet smile and say pretty please :D chances are they won't charge much.

Regards,
footprints

Thanks footprints.

I have not bought it yet. The reason for the post was to find out whether I should buy the normal stuff or the tintable variety. Saying that though, I'm not sure how readily available the tint version is in the UK - so it might be a mute point in any case. I'll have to see if i can get hold of it - unless anyone here knows?

On top of all that, most of the wood work I am undercoating will have a white topcoat. It is just the stairs that will be a colour. We are going for a very dark blue on the stairs so it would need a mega tint anyhow.... I'm thinking maybe I'd be best to buy either a black undercoat/primer, or a dark grey, or a colour which would work best with the blue. Of course, if the 123 cannto be used for floor/stairs i will need something else in any case.

While I'm here it would be great to get some advise as to what works best for floors/stair.... Oil based or water based, etc. And what kind of Primer/Undercoat. So any advice there would be very helpful.

Cheers

Max

As far as I know there is only one kind of Zinsser 123 every tin I have ever bought says it's tintable.

I have never painted stairs (except for the edges of course) I suspect any paint will wear quite quickly just as a door step does. It might be worth thinking about staining them blue and finishing with a flooring grade varnish.
The varnish can have another quick coat as soon as it starts to wear.

I'm not sure how well varnish would take over paint but both ideas might be something to experiment with on a spare bit of wood.

footprints

Sponsored Links
It's interesting you should say that actually.... We live ina new newishhouse but it has been done up to look old and cottagey. We are therefore looking forward to the paint wearing down on the stairs so that it has a worn/rustic look.

So I guess that partly answers my question.... A nice dark and complimentary undercoat (dark grey maybe) so that as the blue fades you get a bit of two tone in areas of heavy use.

Would still be good to hear what type of paints would be most appropriate.

With regard tintable Bullseye:

http://www.zinsseruk.com/shop/Product.aspx?cId=130&pgId=355&tId=Downloads

Many thanks

Well you learn something every day :oops:!

Thanks for the link as you say there is standard which can be tinted to mid tones and another that can be tinted to dark tones.

They do make a Drab Grey one as well as the white, I’ve never needed the Drab one but I’m guessing that is the one for the darker tint.

Good luck with the stairs.

Regards,
teabreak
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back