Zinsser Perma-White Peeling Off Woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought Zinsser Perma White because I needed to paint a flat in a hurry and it advertises that it’s for both walls and woodwork, and is self-priming so it can be painted over old gloss/semi-gloss paints without a separate primer, saving a coat.

I properly prepped/cleaned/sanded the first door (even though the instructions say you don’t have to sand) and painted it. When I came to do the second coat I gave it a quick sand … and found that it was quite soft, and easily peeling off.

I rang Zinsser’s tech support line who did not think this was a problem - they said it takes up to 7 days to reach full adhesion/hardness (it also says that on the tin) and that I should not sand it between coats.

It’s now 2-3 days later, I’ve painted a whole flat, and it feels exactly the same, scratching off woodwork with a finger nail (walls are fine). I know they said up to 7 days but I imagine they are building a pretty big margin of error into that.

Having done all this work, should I trust that it will magically finish curing in another 3-4 days or do I need to start working on a plan b? I can’t imagine having to sand off an entire flat’s worth of paint

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Update - looking at the technical data sheet it says “Scrape-resistance over glossy surfaces develops in 5 to 7 days as Perma-White® cures.” So it looks like this is normal.

It would certainly make me feel better if anyone has had personal experience though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back